Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > What is maximum amount of selected options in SELECT MULTIPLE

What is maximum amount of selected options in SELECT MULTIPLE

MaJoHu

I've got a list where u can select some products. It's something like
this:

<SELECT NAME='Product' MULTIPLE SIZE='10'>
<%
'Get every possible item from items table
SQL = "SELECT DISTINCT productserie, producttype, itemnummer " &_
"FROM items " &_
"ORDER BY productserie, producttype"

Set DBCon = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set ProductRs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

DBCon.open strCon
ProductRs.open SQL, DBCon, 1, 1

'use the items to create a select list
While not ProductRs.eof
Response.Write "<OPTION VALUE='" & ProductRs("itemnummer") &_
"'>" & ProductRs("productserie") & " " &_
ProductRs("producttype") & "</OPTION>"

ProductRs.movenext
Wend

ProductRs.close
DBCon.close
%>
</SELECT>

I want to select many items to make a list. But i found out that if i
select a lot of items, the submit button doesn't work. Is there a
restriction on the amount of items selected??

Many Thnx, MaJoHu

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

What is "a lot"? What does "doesn't work" mean?

I don't think there is a hard limit, but there is certainly an upper bound
to how much the browser and/or the client hardware can handle. It also
depends on what the browser has to do when the submit button is pressed.

FWIW, to prevent information overload, our administrative GUIs use
client-side code to monitor multiple selects, and allow a pre-determined
maximum number of choices. I'd post the code, but our GUIs are IE-only, and
this isn't a client-side scripting forum.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"MaJoHu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I've got a list where u can select some products. It's something like
> this:
>
> <SELECT NAME='Product' MULTIPLE SIZE='10'>
> <%
> 'Get every possible item from items table
> SQL = "SELECT DISTINCT productserie, producttype, itemnummer " &_
> "FROM items " &_
> "ORDER BY productserie, producttype"
>
> Set DBCon = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> Set ProductRs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
>
> DBCon.open strCon
> ProductRs.open SQL, DBCon, 1, 1
>
> 'use the items to create a select list
> While not ProductRs.eof
> Response.Write "<OPTION VALUE='" & ProductRs("itemnummer") &_
> "'>" & ProductRs("productserie") & " " &_
> ProductRs("producttype") & "</OPTION>"
>
> ProductRs.movenext
> Wend
>
> ProductRs.close
> DBCon.close
> %>
> </SELECT>
>
> I want to select many items to make a list. But i found out that if i
> select a lot of items, the submit button doesn't work. Is there a
> restriction on the amount of items selected??
>
> Many Thnx, MaJoHu

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MaJoHu wrote:

> I want to select many items to make a list. But i found out that if i
> select a lot of items, the submit button doesn't work.

What does "doesn't work" mean?

> Is there a
> restriction on the amount of items selected??

None that I know of.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Patrice

AFAIK no particular limit (how many products do you save ? do you use POST
?)

As a side note if you have really that much numerous options, you could try
something else (such as a popup that would have some filtering capabilities)
to ease the work of the user...

Patrice

"MaJoHu" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I've got a list where u can select some products. It's something like
> this:
>
> <SELECT NAME='Product' MULTIPLE SIZE='10'>
> <%
> 'Get every possible item from items table
> SQL = "SELECT DISTINCT productserie, producttype, itemnummer " &_
> "FROM items " &_
> "ORDER BY productserie, producttype"
>
> Set DBCon = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> Set ProductRs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
>
> DBCon.open strCon
> ProductRs.open SQL, DBCon, 1, 1
>
> 'use the items to create a select list
> While not ProductRs.eof
> Response.Write "<OPTION VALUE='" & ProductRs("itemnummer") &_
> "'>" & ProductRs("productserie") & " " &_
> ProductRs("producttype") & "</OPTION>"
>
> ProductRs.movenext
> Wend
>
> ProductRs.close
> DBCon.close
> %>
> </SELECT>
>
> I want to select many items to make a list. But i found out that if i
> select a lot of items, the submit button doesn't work. Is there a
> restriction on the amount of items selected??
>
> Many Thnx, MaJoHu

Scott

Make sure the METHOD in your form tag is set to POST - using the default (GET) uses the query string, which has a limit to it...

SC

MaJoHu

> What does "doesn't work" mean?

I meant with doesn't work, that is does nothing when I click on it.
When I select less items, it will work again.

> do you use POST?

Yes, I use POST.

I was testing with how many items it wouldn't work anymore, but today
i can select all the items I want and it's still working.... weird.
Thnx anyway for trying to answer my question.