Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > web config not working

web config not working

Chris Kennedy

I created a web app on my local machine and it works fine. I physically copy
it to a virtual directory and get a Server Error in '/' Application. I try
to change the web.config file to display the errors but it doesn't do
anything. This is the first time we have used .net on a production server so
a suspect it is a security issue or some kind of permissions issue. Regards,
Chris.

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

Go to the IIS admin and create an application in the directory where you
put your files.

Cheers,

--
Ignacio Machin,
ignacio.machin AT dot.state.fl.us

"Chris Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23AJOxY%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I created a web app on my local machine and it works fine. I physically

copy
> it to a virtual directory and get a Server Error in '/' Application. I try
> to change the web.config file to display the errors but it doesn't do
> anything. This is the first time we have used .net on a production server

so
> a suspect it is a security issue or some kind of permissions issue.

Regards,
> Chris.

Chris Kennedy

How do you that. I have looked in the properties of the virtual directory in
IIS and it says there is application (well it shows a name, the same as the
virtual and execute permissions). Regards, Chris.

"Ignacio Machin ( .NET/ C# MVP )" <ignacio.machin AT dot.state.fl.us> wrote
in message news:ee6zza%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Go to the IIS admin and create an application in the directory where you
> put your files.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Ignacio Machin,
> ignacio.machin AT dot.state.fl.us
> Florida Department Of Transportation
>
> "Chris Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23AJOxY%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I created a web app on my local machine and it works fine. I physically

> copy
> > it to a virtual directory and get a Server Error in '/' Application. I

try
> > to change the web.config file to display the errors but it doesn't do
> > anything. This is the first time we have used .net on a production

server
> so
> > a suspect it is a security issue or some kind of permissions issue.

> Regards,
> > Chris.

Chris Kennedy

Could you give me a pointer to any resources which explain how to set the
directories correctly just so I know I have permissions set up correctly. I
set up a virtual in IIS and copied the contents (i.e. copied and pasted them
in Windows Explorer) of the project to it. I added the ASPNET user to the
physical folder and gave it full permissions and also gave the virtual
permission to execute scripts and executable just to see if it would works.
Is there anything else, I am not too good with network stuff and would like
to know more so I can troubleshoot stuff more quickly.

"David Coe, MCP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have your directories set up correctly (and it sounds like you do),

you may need to use the workaround we have been using of resetting the
ASP.NET State Service logon.