Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Insert Section Break in RTF?

Insert Section Break in RTF?

Diane Yocom

I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but I was at a loss
as to where to go, so...

I'm trying to merge two separate RTF files (created in Word) into one Word
document. I'd like to put a "next page" section break between each document
so that headers and footers can differ between sections. I've got the
documents merging, but I can't seem to figure out how to insert the section
break. Can anyone help?

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

You might want to try a Word newsgroup. The key is that you need to figure
out the code for a section break, not the ASP code to insert it.

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)

"Diane Yocom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but I was at a loss
> as to where to go, so...
>
> I'm trying to merge two separate RTF files (created in Word) into one Word
> document. I'd like to put a "next page" section break between each

document
> so that headers and footers can differ between sections. I've got the
> documents merging, but I can't seem to figure out how to insert the

section
> break. Can anyone help?

Dave Anderson

http://search.cpan.org/dist/RTF-Writ...vel_Formatting

--
Dave Anderson

Diane Yocom

Thanks for the response.

I had actually found the following command: \sect\sectd\sbkpage to insert a
footer, so I was figuring I did something wrong. Does there need to be a
group delimiter around the section and the text in that section?

I.e., {\sect\sectd\sbkpage blah blah blah, here's my text}

"Dave Anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Diane Yocom wrote:
> > I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but I was at a
> > loss as to where to go, so...
> >
> > I'm trying to merge two separate RTF files (created in Word) into one
> > Word document. I'd like to put a "next page" section break between
> > each document so that headers and footers can differ between
> > sections. I've got the documents merging, but I can't seem to figure
> > out how to insert the section break. Can anyone help?

http://search.cpan.org/dist/RTF-Writ...vel_Formatting

> --
> Dave Anderson

Use
> of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not

contact
> me directly or ask me to contact you directly for assistance. If your
> question is worth asking, it's worth posting.

Diane Yocom

I'll forward there too. Didn't figure a Word group was necessarily a sure
thing, since RTF isn't solely a Word standard.

Thanks,
Diane Y.

"Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You might want to try a Word newsgroup. The key is that you need to

figure
> out the code for a section break, not the ASP code to insert it.
>
> --
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
> (Reverse address to reply.)
>

> "Diane Yocom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I realize this may not be the best place to post this, but I was at a

loss
> > as to where to go, so...
> >
> > I'm trying to merge two separate RTF files (created in Word) into one

Word
> > document. I'd like to put a "next page" section break between each

> document
> > so that headers and footers can differ between sections. I've got the
> > documents merging, but I can't seem to figure out how to insert the

> section
> > break. Can anyone help?

Alan Howard

I downloaded the RTF spec from MS some time ago and quickly got tired of
trying to trying to understand it. It sounds gash - but the best approach
I've found is to generate and save one document, make the change you
require, save the new file, and then diff them (normally this is a manual
process) to spot the changes. Normally a certain amount of artistic license
(and trial and error) is required to interpret and clean up what you see.

Alan