Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Drill Downs

Drill Downs

rikesh

Hi

I have a table, which is bound to a database, how would I go about, making
fields in one column, so that I can drill down on them. For example, I have
a column of Groups, and I wish to click on a group and see the members in
that group.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

--
Kind Regards

Rikesh
(V.InterDev6.0-SP5/W2K-SP4/SQL2K-SP3)

Kris Eiben

AFAIK there are two basic methods.
1) Server-side. The group is a link to the same page with the group ID
sent in the querystring. When re-creating the page, check that ID when
listing the groups - if it matches the current group's ID, display the
list of members. Note: can only show 1 group's members this way, unless
you build some method for maintaining state into the page.
2) Client-side. When the page is created, load the members for each
group into divs, which all start out hidden. The group is a link that
runs a javascript function to un-hide the correct div. Google for
code - there are many examples out there - or follow up in a client-side
newsgroup.

Kris

"rikesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a table, which is bound to a database, how would I go about,

making
> fields in one column, so that I can drill down on them. For example,

I have
> a column of Groups, and I wish to click on a group and see the members

in
> that group.
>
> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>

> --
> Kind Regards
>
> Rikesh
> (V.InterDev6.0-SP5/W2K-SP4/SQL2K-SP3)

rikesh

Cheers Kris

Thanks very much for you reply.

I was hoping to open up a new window displaying members of the group,
however, this may be more difficult???

"Kris Eiben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Onuq5i%(E-Mail Removed)...
> AFAIK there are two basic methods.
> 1) Server-side. The group is a link to the same page with the group ID
> sent in the querystring. When re-creating the page, check that ID when
> listing the groups - if it matches the current group's ID, display the
> list of members. Note: can only show 1 group's members this way, unless
> you build some method for maintaining state into the page.
> 2) Client-side. When the page is created, load the members for each
> group into divs, which all start out hidden. The group is a link that
> runs a javascript function to un-hide the correct div. Google for
> code - there are many examples out there - or follow up in a client-side
> newsgroup.
>
> Kris
>
> "rikesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a table, which is bound to a database, how would I go about,

> making
> > fields in one column, so that I can drill down on them. For example,

> I have
> > a column of Groups, and I wish to click on a group and see the members

> in
> > that group.
> >
> > Any ideas would be much appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Rikesh
> > (V.InterDev6.0-SP5/W2K-SP4/SQL2K-SP3)

Kris Eiben

Nah, it's just as easy. Make a new page that takes a group ID in the
querystring and displays all members of that group. Make each group a
link to that page that opens in a new window (such as <a
target="_new">), with that group ID in the querystring.

Note: IIRC each link will open into the same window unless you name the
target windows differently -- maybe use the group name or ID as the
target name (instead of "_new") if you want the user to be able to have
multiple member lists open at once.

"rikesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ooi#Nv#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cheers Kris
>
> Thanks very much for you reply.
>
> I was hoping to open up a new window displaying members of the group,
> however, this may be more difficult???
>

> "Kris Eiben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Onuq5i%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > AFAIK there are two basic methods.
> > 1) Server-side. The group is a link to the same page with the group

ID
> > sent in the querystring. When re-creating the page, check that ID

when
> > listing the groups - if it matches the current group's ID, display

the
> > list of members. Note: can only show 1 group's members this way,

unless
> > you build some method for maintaining state into the page.
> > 2) Client-side. When the page is created, load the members for each
> > group into divs, which all start out hidden. The group is a link

that
> > runs a javascript function to un-hide the correct div. Google for
> > code - there are many examples out there - or follow up in a

client-side
> > newsgroup.
> >
> > Kris
> >
> > "rikesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have a table, which is bound to a database, how would I go

about,
> > making
> > > fields in one column, so that I can drill down on them. For

example,
> > I have
> > > a column of Groups, and I wish to click on a group and see the

members
> > in
> > > that group.
> > >
> > > Any ideas would be much appreciated.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Kind Regards
> > >
> > > Rikesh
> > > (V.InterDev6.0-SP5/W2K-SP4/SQL2K-SP3)

rikesh

Cheers Kris, I 'll give it a try tonight, thanks for you help.

news:eih9rF$(E-Mail Removed)...