Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS Crashing

IIS Crashing

Jeff Dillon

We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and users lose
their session information and have to log back in.

In the Event Log, I see the following entries:

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module unknown,
version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

and

A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly.
The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.

May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We use a
few such objects, such as SAFileUp.

What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to send
trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting" suspect
asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can relate a
page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?

This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.

thx

Jeff

Ken Schaefer

Use IISState:
http://www.iisfaq.com/default.aspx?view=P197

(currently IISFaq site is down for maintenance, so you'll have to get this
tool later)

Cheers
Ken

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
[...]

I don't think this will work. When a worker process crashes, IIS restarts,
so I lose the state.

IISState just does a dump of the current state, not the state IIS was in
when the problem occurred.

Are you saying I run IISState all the time? Does it "monitor" activity, or
just take a snapshot?

How do I tell which object caused the worker process to fail "after the
fact"?

Jeff

"Ken Schaefer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Use IISState:
> http://www.iisfaq.com/default.aspx?view=P197
>
> (currently IISFaq site is down for maintenance, so you'll have to get this
> tool later)
>
> Cheers
> Ken
>
> "Jeff Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and users
> lose
> : their session information and have to log back in.
> :
> : In the Event Log, I see the following entries:
> :
> : Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module
> unknown,
> : version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
> :
> : and
> :
> : A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated
> unexpectedly.
> : The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.
> :
> : May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
> : misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We use

> : few such objects, such as SAFileUp.
> :
> : What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to send
> : trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting"
> suspect
> : asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can

relate
> : page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?
> :
> : This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.
> :
> : thx
> :
> : Jeff
> :
> :

Rodd Snook

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:19:44 -0700, Jeff Dillon wrote:

> We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and users lose
> their session information and have to log back in.
>
> In the Event Log, I see the following entries:
>
> Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module unknown,
> version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
>
> and
>
> A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated unexpectedly.
> The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.
>
> May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
> misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We use a
> few such objects, such as SAFileUp.
>
> What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to send
> trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting" suspect
> asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can relate a
> page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?
>
> This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.

Can the components you have be configured to run in server mode, i.e.
outside the IIS process? If they can, and you do it, then you should be
able to nail the component (or IIS itself) by looking at which DLLHOST
process it is that fails.

Rodd

Mark Schupp

Hunt down a copy of IIS Exception Monitor
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...-us/dniis/html
/ixcptmon.asp). This will produce a debugger trace that can show what DLLs
are executing when an exception occurs. If you have a debug version of your
components with symbol tables it can event give you the line that failed.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

"Rodd Snook" <(E-Mail Removed)5.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:19:44 -0700, Jeff Dillon wrote:
>
> > We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and users

lose
> > their session information and have to log back in.
> >
> > In the Event Log, I see the following entries:
> >
> > Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module

unknown,
> > version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
> >
> > and
> >
> > A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated

unexpectedly.
> > The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.
> >
> > May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
> > misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We use

> > few such objects, such as SAFileUp.
> >
> > What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to send
> > trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting"

suspect
> > asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can

relate a
> > page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?
> >
> > This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.
> >

> Can the components you have be configured to run in server mode, i.e.
> outside the IIS process? If they can, and you do it, then you should be
> able to nail the component (or IIS itself) by looking at which DLLHOST
> process it is that fails.
>
> Rodd

Jeff Dillon

I can't locate a download location

Jeff

"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hunt down a copy of IIS Exception Monitor

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...-us/dniis/html
> /ixcptmon.asp). This will produce a debugger trace that can show what DLLs
> are executing when an exception occurs. If you have a debug version of

your
> components with symbol tables it can event give you the line that failed.
>
> --
> Mark Schupp
> Head of Development
> Integrity eLearning
> www.ielearning.com
>

> "Rodd Snook" <(E-Mail Removed)5.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:19:44 -0700, Jeff Dillon wrote:
> >
> > > We have an ASP application that restarts several times a day, and

users
> lose
> > > their session information and have to log back in.
> > >
> > > In the Event Log, I see the following entries:
> > >
> > > Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module

> unknown,
> > > version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' terminated

> unexpectedly.
> > > The process id was '484'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.
> > >
> > > May I assume that these types of errors are generally caused by a
> > > misbehaving 3rd party component created via Server.CreateObject? We

use
> > > few such objects, such as SAFileUp.
> > >
> > > What is the best way to debug such problems? We'd rather not pay to

send
> > > trace files to MS for debugging. I'm thinking about "instrumenting"

> suspect
> > > asp pages, and put in database logging with timing info, so we can

> relate a
> > > page hit to an event log error. Other ideas/tools?
> > >
> > > This is standard ASP on Windows 2003 Server.
> > >

> > Can the components you have be configured to run in server mode, i.e.
> > outside the IIS process? If they can, and you do it, then you should be
> > able to nail the component (or IIS itself) by looking at which DLLHOST
> > process it is that fails.
> >
> > Rodd

Mark Schupp

Jeff,

I'll send you a link to our copy off-forum. Keep in mind that it was
intended for use with Win NT or 2000. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't
work on 2003 but I would take the usual precautions (backups, verify that
you have all software needed to rebuild the server, etc) before using it.
There may be a reason that MS doesn't have it available.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

IIS - Crashing Jess ASP General 0 02-02-2006 09:48 PM
ASP.NET Crashing on IIS 5.0 - Buffer overflow =?Utf-8?B?Lk5FVCBEZXY=?= ASP .Net 1 08-11-2005 08:04 PM
IIS 6.0 win2003, IIS users moe_rodrigue MCSE 1 04-01-2004 07:37 AM
ASP.NET application works in IIS PWS, but not in remote IIS. Matthew Louden ASP .Net 3 11-07-2003 09:58 PM
.NET IIS to IIS credentials problem... Grind Boy ASP .Net 4 08-14-2003 12:59 PM

Advertisments