Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Table size incorrect when 'linked to' but not when navigated to using 'Forward'

Table size incorrect when 'linked to' but not when navigated to using 'Forward'

Carl Gilbert

Hi

I am currently writing a site that utilises tables. I have one page
that links to a second page.

The only problem is that when I link to the second page, the table
loads up with a different height than was set in the code.
However, when I use the navigation buttons in IE to go back and then
forward again to the second page, the table is displayed as expected.

Has anyone ever come accross this problem and does anyone know of a
solution?

Aditional information. The pages include numerous tables, some within
other tables and some tables within rows or cells.

I would have published the site but the pages include ASP code and I
do not as yet have an ASP host.
If anyone feels that seeing the pages would be beneficial then I can
either publish tham as pure HTML or post the asp pages.

Note: Tested in Internet Explorer v6, written in VS.NET.

Kind regards, Carl

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Sounds like an HTML problem, not an ASP one...

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Carl Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I am currently writing a site that utilises tables. I have one page
> that links to a second page.
>
> The only problem is that when I link to the second page, the table
> loads up with a different height than was set in the code.
> However, when I use the navigation buttons in IE to go back and then
> forward again to the second page, the table is displayed as expected.
>
> Has anyone ever come accross this problem and does anyone know of a
> solution?
>

> Aditional information. The pages include numerous tables, some within
> other tables and some tables within rows or cells.
>
> I would have published the site but the pages include ASP code and I
> do not as yet have an ASP host.
> If anyone feels that seeing the pages would be beneficial then I can
> either publish tham as pure HTML or post the asp pages.
>
> Note: Tested in Internet Explorer v6, written in VS.NET.
>
> Kind regards, Carl

Carl Gilbert

Go to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carl_gilbert/page1.html and you should be
able to see the difference when you link to page 2 and when you use IE to
move to the next page.

"Tom Blantern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40acfc83$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's URL to your site.
>
> "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sounds like an HTML problem, not an ASP one...
> >
> > --
> > Aaron Bertrand
> > SQL Server MVP
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> >

> > "Carl Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am currently writing a site that utilises tables. I have one page
> > > that links to a second page.
> > >
> > > The only problem is that when I link to the second page, the table
> > > loads up with a different height than was set in the code.
> > > However, when I use the navigation buttons in IE to go back and then
> > > forward again to the second page, the table is displayed as expected.
> > >
> > > Has anyone ever come accross this problem and does anyone know of a
> > > solution?
> > >

> > > Aditional information. The pages include numerous tables, some within
> > > other tables and some tables within rows or cells.
> > >
> > > I would have published the site but the pages include ASP code and I
> > > do not as yet have an ASP host.
> > > If anyone feels that seeing the pages would be beneficial then I can
> > > either publish tham as pure HTML or post the asp pages.
> > >
> > > Note: Tested in Internet Explorer v6, written in VS.NET.
> > >
> > > Kind regards, Carl

Edwin van der Vaart

Carl Gilbert wrote:
> Go to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carl_gilbert/page1.html and you should be
> able to see the difference when you link to page 2 and when you use IE to
> move to the next page.

Perhaps the ms_positioning="FlowLayout" in the <body> is the problem.
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Carl Gilbert

Have updated the pages but had no affect.

"Edwin van der Vaart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Carl Gilbert wrote:
> > Go to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carl_gilbert/page1.html and you

should be
> > able to see the difference when you link to page 2 and when you use IE

> > move to the next page.

> Perhaps the ms_positioning="FlowLayout" in the <body> is the problem.
> --
> Edwin van der Vaart
> http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
> http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction

Carl Gilbert

Thanks for the code Tom. This is good but still presents the same problem
but the other way round.
When the page is linked to, it comes out at the correct size but when it is
navigated forward to, it comes out larger.
This is much more acceptable and if I had to put up with it I think I would
rather use your approach.

Any aditional input on why the table may be re-sizing or a way to prevent
the table re-sizing when navigated forward to would be greatly appreciated.

I have re-published the pages to show what the new code is doing. This can
be found at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carl_gilbert/page1.html

Once again, thanks Tom, this could be the solution unless anyone else has a
better one.

"Tom Blantern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ad30ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> </TR>
> </TABLE>
>
> </TD>
> <TD width="8">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="344">
> <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="Table4">
> <TR height="80">
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> </TR>
> <TR height="8" valign="top"></TR>

> <TR height="80">
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> </TR>
> <TR height="8" valign="top"></TR>

> <TR height="80">
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> </TR>
> <TR height="8" valign="top"></TR>

> <TR height="80">
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD width="8" valign="top"></TD>
> <TD width="80" valign="top" style="border:3 solid
> black;">&nbsp;</TD>
> </TR>
> </TABLE>
> </TD>
> <TD width="8">&nbsp;</TD>
> <TD bgcolor="black" width="32">&nbsp;</TD>
> </TR>
> </TABLE>
> </TD>
> </TR>
>
> <!--Bottom bar-->
> <TR height="45">
> <TD style="color:white; background-color:black; border-top:14

solid
> white;">&nbsp;</TD>
> </TR>
>
> </TABLE>
> </TD>
> </TR>
> </TABLE>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>

> "Carl Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Have updated the pages but had no affect.
> >

> > "Edwin van der Vaart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > should be

IE

> > > Perhaps the ms_positioning="FlowLayout" in the <body> is the problem.
> > > --
> > > Edwin van der Vaart
> > > http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
> > > http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction

Karl Groves

http://diveintomark.org/archives/200..._wont_help_you

--
Karl Core

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Carl
Gilbert) writing in news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Hi

Hi

> I am currently writing a site that utilises tables. I have one page
> that links to a second page.

Ok

> The only problem is that when I link to the second page, the table
> loads up with a different height than was set in the code.
> However, when I use the navigation buttons in IE to go back and then
> forward again to the second page, the table is displayed as expected.

Is this a table of tabular data, or is this your editor's way of
positioning elements?

> Has anyone ever come accross this problem and does anyone know of a
> solution?

Yes, get rid of the tables. Go with CSS.

> Aditional information. The pages include numerous tables, some within
> other tables and some tables within rows or cells.

Again, get rid of tables. There is nothing worse than having to debug
nested tables.

> I would have published the site but the pages include ASP code and I
> do not as yet have an ASP host.
> If anyone feels that seeing the pages would be beneficial then I can
> either publish tham as pure HTML or post the asp pages.

Have you validated your markup and fixed the errors?

> Note: Tested in Internet Explorer v6, written in VS.NET.

Did you test it in any other browser? You know there are other browsers
out there, and what may work for IE may not work for Mozilla or Opera,
especially if you are using some sort of proprietary markup.

> Kind regards, Carl

Good luck!

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Tom Blantern

What's URL to your site.

"Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like an HTML problem, not an ASP one...
>
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
>

> "Carl Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am currently writing a site that utilises tables. I have one page
> > that links to a second page.
> >
> > The only problem is that when I link to the second page, the table
> > loads up with a different height than was set in the code.
> > However, when I use the navigation buttons in IE to go back and then
> > forward again to the second page, the table is displayed as expected.
> >
> > Has anyone ever come accross this problem and does anyone know of a
> > solution?
> >

> > Aditional information. The pages include numerous tables, some within
> > other tables and some tables within rows or cells.
> >
> > I would have published the site but the pages include ASP code and I
> > do not as yet have an ASP host.
> > If anyone feels that seeing the pages would be beneficial then I can
> > either publish tham as pure HTML or post the asp pages.
> >
> > Note: Tested in Internet Explorer v6, written in VS.NET.
> >
> > Kind regards, Carl

Toby A Inkster

Tom Blantern wrote:

> I did this way:

[snip]

Then you deserve all the problems you get.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS