Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to block IP address in a guestbook?

How to block IP address in a guestbook?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Are you sure the offender has an ip that should be blocked by this
statement? How are you verifying this?

Are you sure Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") contains that ip
address? How are you verifying this?

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

pcchong

I can see his IP from the guestbook. I tested this filter using my IP
address and it worked, that is why I am so puzzled. I would appreciate it if
you could suggest how I can verify the IP. Many thanks again.

pcchong

news:eZsbRP$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you sure the offender has an ip that should be blocked by this
> statement? How are you verifying this?
>
> Are you sure Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") contains that ip
> address? How are you verifying this?
>
> Bob Barrows
> pcchong wrote:
> > I place this in the beginning of the first asp:
> >
> > <%
> > dim sIP
> > sIP = Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
> > if Instr(sIP, "###.###.###") > 0 then
> > Response.End
> > end if
> > %>
> >
> > Anything wrong? Please advise. Thanks.
> >
> > pcchong
> >
> > "Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
> "NO SPAM"

PW

"pcchong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can see his IP from the guestbook. I tested this filter using my IP
> address and it worked, that is why I am so puzzled. I would appreciate it

if
> you could suggest how I can verify the IP. Many thanks again.

Perhaps you enemy is bypassing the initial (menu?) ASP and going straight to
the guestbook ASP. Move the new code from your initial (menu) ASP over to
the page where you insert the guestbook information into your database.
That way, you enemy will be able to type in a post, but it won't get written
to your database, and therefore no one will ever see it.

HTH,
PW

Evertjan.

PW wrote on 23 mei 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> "pcchong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can see his IP from the guestbook. I tested this filter using my IP
>> address and it worked, that is why I am so puzzled. I would
>> appreciate it

> if
>> you could suggest how I can verify the IP. Many thanks again.

> Perhaps you enemy is bypassing the initial (menu?) ASP and going
> straight to the guestbook ASP. Move the new code from your initial
> (menu) ASP over to the page where you insert the guestbook information
> into your database. That way, you enemy will be able to type in a
> post, but it won't get written to your database, and therefore no one
> will ever see it.

why not block both pages?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

pcchong

Yes, you are right. Instead of just put the filter in the index(first) file,
I should put it also in the other input files. Problem solved. Many many
thanks to everyone.

pcchong