Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Inconsistent Results from asp

Inconsistent Results from asp

AbeR

I have written a fairly simple reporting app that has been working for a few years without any issues until this past week.

The application has a login page with a DSN lookup for login/password validation. A confirm login asp page does a redirect back to the login page if failed or to a menu page if passed where I pull information from the database into session variables that I pass throught the app for dynamic/individualized queries

I always get the DSN to validate login. Since I test on three systems I get differing result in each with exactly the same code:
(1) system 1 (local) works as planned - the validation page redirects me to the menu page and carries the session variable. The menu lets me carry variables to the results page (Windows XP Pro
(2) ISP 1 - the validation page redirects me to the menu page and but does not carry the session variables. The menu results with <% {Response.Write("Hello " + Session("FirstName") + " " + Session("LastName") )}; %> results in "Hello Undefined Undefined" when a valid login is put in. Submitting a request results in a "HTTP 5oo Internal server error" The page cannon be displayed. In system 1 the same code was FTP-ed and funtional. The ISP runs W2K server and claims they have not done anything for a while, but I know that MS has had a series of security patches lately
(3)ISP 2- Also W2K the validation page redirects me to the menu page and carries the session variables. The menu results with <% {Response.Write("Hello " + Session("FirstName") + " " + Session("LastName") )}; %> results in "Hello Jim Jones when a valid login is put in as it should. Submitting a request results in a "HTTP 5oo Internal server error" The page cannon be displayed. Again this worked on the XP system and this code has been working untouched for at least 18 months

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've tried <%response.buffer=true%> but that has not helped. Has anyone expeienced anything similar and/or have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

> Submitting a request results in a "HTTP 5oo Internal server error"

I assume you meant 500. This information is not very useful. Get to the
root of the problem. http://www.aspfaq.com/2109

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP