Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP Not Respecting Response.ContentType

ASP Not Respecting Response.ContentType

John Smith

I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.

I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
"text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

John Smith wrote:
> I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
> display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.
>
> I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
> "text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
> difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
> it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you!

Do you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

John Smith

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:32:46 -0400, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:John Smith wrote:
:> I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
:> display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.
:>
:> I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
:> "text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
:> difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
:> it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
:> appreciated.
:>
:> Thank you!
:
o you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?

Yes, I do, but IE does not display it as an XML page.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

John Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:32:46 -0400, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> John Smith wrote:
>>> I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
>>> display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.
>>>
>>> I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
>>> "text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
>>> difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
>>> it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you!

>> Do you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?

> Yes, I do, but IE does not display it as an XML page.

OK, can you show us the source?

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

John Smith

On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:08:04 -0400, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:John Smith wrote:
:> On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:32:46 -0400, "Bob Barrows [MVP]"
:> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:>
:>> John Smith wrote:
:>>> I am trying to generate an RSS feed with ASP, however, IE will not
:>>> display the feed as an XML document, instead returning it as text.
:>>>
:>>> I have <% Response.Buffer = true %> and <% Response.ContentType =
:>>> "text/xml" %> at the top of the page, but it does not make a
:>>> difference. Netscape/Mozilla recognizes the contenttype and displays
:>>> it as XML, and the feed is valid. Any help would be greatly
:>>> appreciated.
:>>>
:>>> Thank you!
:>>
:>> Do you see the XML when you view the page source in IE?
:>
:> Yes, I do, but IE does not display it as an XML page.
:
:OK, can you show us the source?
:
:Bob Barrows

It looks like I had bad XML data, and that was causing the problem.
Thanks for your help nonetheless