Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How do I store an array of data between pages?

How do I store an array of data between pages?

Colin Steadman

Hope this makes sense!

I'm building an ASP page which allows uses to add items to an invoice
via a form, ie:

Item No Part No Order No Quanity Units Price VAT
------- ------- -------- ------- ----- ----- ---
.... ... ... ... ... ... ...

<Add item> <Submit>

What I want to do is have the user add one item at a time (because we
dont know how many items are going to be added), and slowly build up
an array of records.

To do this the user will be persented with a form (as above) which
they use to add the first item. They then click the <Add item>
button. This will submit the data to an ASP script to be validated.
The data is then added to an array and the user is returned to the
invoice page.

I will then display the line they have already entered beneath the
item entry (shown above). They then add another line and click <Add
item> and the process is repeated until all items have been added.
Finally the user clicks Submit and the data is stored in the database.

To do this I obviously need to store each new line in an array. But
I've just realised that I cant do this unless I store the array itself
in a session variable. Is this acceptable, or is another method
available that would support this?

TIA,

Colin

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Have you considered using a database? Also, you can always store a local
array in the session, using Session("array") = localArray... just remember
to bring it back local before trying to iterate through it or manipulate it.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Colin Steadman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hope this makes sense!
>
> I'm building an ASP page which allows uses to add items to an invoice
> via a form, ie:
>
> Item No Part No Order No Quanity Units Price VAT
> ------- ------- -------- ------- ----- ----- ---
> ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
>
> <Add item> <Submit>
>
> What I want to do is have the user add one item at a time (because we
> dont know how many items are going to be added), and slowly build up
> an array of records.
>
> To do this the user will be persented with a form (as above) which
> they use to add the first item. They then click the <Add item>
> button. This will submit the data to an ASP script to be validated.
> The data is then added to an array and the user is returned to the
> invoice page.
>
> I will then display the line they have already entered beneath the
> item entry (shown above). They then add another line and click <Add
> item> and the process is repeated until all items have been added.
> Finally the user clicks Submit and the data is stored in the database.
>
> To do this I obviously need to store each new line in an array. But
> I've just realised that I cant do this unless I store the array itself
> in a session variable. Is this acceptable, or is another method
> available that would support this?
>
> TIA,
>
> Colin

Patrice

Also you could do this client side. Clicking the button would just add a new
"blank" line to the table client side and the user will submit the whole
form when ready ??

Patrice

"Colin Steadman" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hope this makes sense!
>
> I'm building an ASP page which allows uses to add items to an invoice
> via a form, ie:
>
> Item No Part No Order No Quanity Units Price VAT
> ------- ------- -------- ------- ----- ----- ---
> ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
>
> <Add item> <Submit>
>
> What I want to do is have the user add one item at a time (because we
> dont know how many items are going to be added), and slowly build up
> an array of records.
>
> To do this the user will be persented with a form (as above) which
> they use to add the first item. They then click the <Add item>
> button. This will submit the data to an ASP script to be validated.
> The data is then added to an array and the user is returned to the
> invoice page.
>
> I will then display the line they have already entered beneath the
> item entry (shown above). They then add another line and click <Add
> item> and the process is repeated until all items have been added.
> Finally the user clicks Submit and the data is stored in the database.
>
> To do this I obviously need to store each new line in an array. But
> I've just realised that I cant do this unless I store the array itself
> in a session variable. Is this acceptable, or is another method
> available that would support this?
>
> TIA,
>
> Colin

dlbjr

Use xml Client or server side.

You can add to an xml data island on client side then send xml to client when ready.

'from dlbjr

'Unambit from meager knowledge of inane others,engender uncharted sagacity.

Colin Steadman

I didn't know that was possible. Presumably this is a
javascript function?

Incase I cant find any examples of this, do you happen to
have any code that does this that you dont mind sharing?

TIA,

Colin

No I hadn't. How would you see this working? Is it
possible to setup a Transaction in this senario and submit
it at the end? I'm not sure how you'd keep track of the
transaction while skirting between pages.

>Also, you can always store a local
>array in the session, using Session("array") =

localArray... just remember
>to bring it back local before trying to iterate through

it or manipulate it.

This was my original intention, but I thought this was a
big no no. Is it acceptable to do this? We wont have
many users, at a guess I'd say 50 with no more then 15
logged on at any one time. If I can do this, I'll do it!

TIA,

Colin

Roland Hall

"Colin Steadman" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
: Hope this makes sense!
:
: I'm building an ASP page which allows uses to add items to an invoice
: via a form, ie:
:
: Item No Part No Order No Quanity Units Price VAT
: ------- ------- -------- ------- ----- ----- ---
: ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
:
: <Add item> <Submit>
:
[...]

Where does the user get the information to input from? Are these select
lists or text boxes? And, how many items in each column? This sounds like
a shopping cart.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Colin Steadman

>Where does the user get the information to input from?

Its basically a page which will allow the user to add line
items from an invoice onto the database. An invoice will
always have a minimum of 1 item, but is more likely to
have many. For this reason I want the user to add one
item at a time. My idea is that the user will add the
data for item 1 and click an ADD ITEM Button. This will
add the item to an array back at the server. The invoice
entry page will then regenerate and add the added item
into a table. Above the table will be the form where they
can continue to add new items. I hope thats clear enough,
I dont think I'm describing this very well.

> Are these select lists or text boxes? And, how many
> items in each column?

All are text boxes, and there are only a dozen of them.

>This sounds like a shopping cart.

How do those work? I've not done any e-Commerce type apps!

TIA,

Colin

Patrice

See :
http://hologuides.com/JavaScript/TablesIE.htm

Also you could copy a whole row (instead of adding each element in script)
to have a general function.

The simplest way would be just to display let's say 10 rows. The user will
posbatck if he needs more row... Server side you'll just ignore unused
rows...

Patrice

"Colin Steadman" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans
le message de news:ceb701c43983$d4a1a980$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

> No I hadn't. How would you see this working? Is it
> possible to setup a Transaction in this senario and submit
> it at the end? I'm not sure how you'd keep track of the
> transaction while skirting between pages.

I envision two tables, much like in an e-commerce app. Cart and
CartDetails. When the user first adds an item to the shopping cart, you
make an entry into the Cart table, then a child row in CartDetails. You
bring back the CartID (e.g. IDENTITY) to the ASP page, and use this in a
session variable. When the user adds another item to the cart, you just
associate the session("CartID") and add another row to the cart details
table.

One of the advantages here is that this outlives session timeouts. You can
also go without cookies, by persisting the CartID in a querystring or form
variable throughout the site.

> This was my original intention, but I thought this was a
> big no no. Is it acceptable to do this? We wont have
> many users, at a guess I'd say 50 with no more then 15
> logged on at any one time. If I can do this, I'll do it!

Shouldn't be a problem. Objects and arrays are very different things.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP