Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > creating a spreadsheet

creating a spreadsheet

shank

I'm creating a spreadsheet online via ASP. I have the following at the page
top...

<% Response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel" %>
<% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>

It works fine for some 60+ manufacturer listings. However, it balks on one
single manufacturer. By chance, this manuf has 18,000+ records. The others,
less than 10,000. Is there a limit to the number of records I can convert to
XLS...?

thanks!

Alan Howard

I wouldn't think it's a programmatic limitation. How many records more than
18,000? Excel 2000 for example can only handle 65536 rows. What behaviour
are you seeing when it balks? Try commenting out the content-disposition
line to let the page render as HTML and see what the error message says. Is
your script timing-out?

Alan

"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm creating a spreadsheet online via ASP. I have the following at the

page
> top...
>
> <% Response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel" %>
> <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
>
> It works fine for some 60+ manufacturer listings. However, it balks on one
> single manufacturer. By chance, this manuf has 18,000+ records. The

others,
> less than 10,000. Is there a limit to the number of records I can convert

> XLS...?
>
> thanks!

shank

There's 18,587 records. I commented out this line...
<% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
....and no difference at all.

I get a message box that says...
Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

I can select any other manufacturer and it works as planned. The only
difference I notice is the number of records.

thanks!

"Alan Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ekou%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wouldn't think it's a programmatic limitation. How many records more

than
> 18,000? Excel 2000 for example can only handle 65536 rows. What behaviour
> are you seeing when it balks? Try commenting out the content-disposition
> line to let the page render as HTML and see what the error message says.

Is
> your script timing-out?
>
> Alan
>
> "shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm creating a spreadsheet online via ASP. I have the following at the

> page
> > top...
> >
> > <% Response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel" %>
> > <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
> >
> > It works fine for some 60+ manufacturer listings. However, it balks on

one
> > single manufacturer. By chance, this manuf has 18,000+ records. The

> others,
> > less than 10,000. Is there a limit to the number of records I can

convert
> > XLS...?
> >
> > thanks!

Alan Howard

You might see that msg if the format of the file is incorrect. Try
commenting out the line that changes the content-type, not the
content-disposition (my mistake sorry). You should be able to render the
same output as HTML. What format is the data in as it's being rendered; an
HTML table, CSV, tab-separated?

Alan

"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's 18,587 records. I commented out this line...
> <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
> ...and no difference at all.
>
> I get a message box that says...
> Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
> site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
>
> I can select any other manufacturer and it works as planned. The only
> difference I notice is the number of records.
>
> thanks!
>

> "Alan Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ekou%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I wouldn't think it's a programmatic limitation. How many records more

> than
> > 18,000? Excel 2000 for example can only handle 65536 rows. What

behaviour
> > are you seeing when it balks? Try commenting out the content-disposition
> > line to let the page render as HTML and see what the error message says.

> Is
> > your script timing-out?
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > "shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm creating a spreadsheet online via ASP. I have the following at the

> > page
> > > top...
> > >
> > > <% Response.contenttype = "application/vnd.ms-excel" %>
> > > <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls"

%>

> > > It works fine for some 60+ manufacturer listings. However, it balks on

> one
> > > single manufacturer. By chance, this manuf has 18,000+ records. The

> > others,
> > > less than 10,000. Is there a limit to the number of records I can

> convert
> > > XLS...?
> > >
> > > thanks!

shank

Thanks very much! I commented out the lines and got this error: Response
Buffer Limit Exceeded. A search on that error suggests raising the
AspBufferingLimit setting in Metabase.xml. It did have something to do with
the size of the records after all.
thanks!

"Alan Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You might see that msg if the format of the file is incorrect. Try
> commenting out the line that changes the content-type, not the
> content-disposition (my mistake sorry). You should be able to render the
> same output as HTML. What format is the data in as it's being rendered; an
> HTML table, CSV, tab-separated?
>
> Alan
>
> "shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There's 18,587 records. I commented out this line...
> > <% Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "filename=FullList.xls" %>
> > ...and no difference at all.
> >
> > I get a message box that says...
> > Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
> > site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.
> >
> > I can select any other manufacturer and it works as planned. The only
> > difference I notice is the number of records.
> >
> > thanks!
> >

> > "Alan Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ekou%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I wouldn't think it's a programmatic limitation. How many records more

> > than
> > > 18,000? Excel 2000 for example can only handle 65536 rows. What

> behaviour
> > > are you seeing when it balks? Try commenting out the

content-disposition
> > > line to let the page render as HTML and see what the error message

says.
> > Is
> > > your script timing-out?
> > >
> > > Alan
> > >
> > > "shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

the
> > > page

> %>

on
> > one
> > > others,

> > convert

Is there anyway with VB.net to force closing of a spreadsheet in E =?Utf-8?B?TmVpbA==?= ASP .Net 1 04-27-2005 03:14 PM
Writing to an Excel Spreadsheet FSD Perl 0 02-19-2005 12:49 AM
creating a web site spreadsheet ROBERT BROOKS Computer Information 1 10-29-2004 05:55 AM
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel Fabio Perl 2 03-04-2004 08:37 AM
creating an excel spreadsheet from an asp sql query Jeremy ASP General 1 07-11-2003 04:14 PM

Advertisments