Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How can I : "oh look there's a new email - do something"

How can I : "oh look there's a new email - do something"

Rob Meade

Hi all...this might not be a 100% asp question - but the app I'm writing
around it will be )

I guess I need a component or something that will happily run in the
background scanning the incoming mail directory - upon a new email arriving
I want something to happen.

This is for a small 'helpdesk' app - I am happy to have a pop at writing the
component myself, but wasn't sure the best way...presumably I would need to
be scanning the C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Mailbox\<--mail box name--> directory on
the server for a new file - I could achieve this I suppose by using a
database to record whats currently there, then every 5 minutes or so scan it
again and compare to the database...

Anyone done anything similiar in the past? I think I would like to write the
component myself to just get it to do exactly what I need - does the
'theory' above sound ok or are there other ways...

Ideally I want to be able to determine if a ticket number is in the email
header and then write a new row to a database and send an email or
something...

Any info appreciated,

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Why do you think this should be a component? Sounds like it should be an
application scheduled with Windows scheduler...

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Rob Meade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qHuic.186$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all...this might not be a 100% asp question - but the app I'm writing
> around it will be )
>
> I guess I need a component or something that will happily run in the
> background scanning the incoming mail directory - upon a new email
> arriving
> I want something to happen.
>
> This is for a small 'helpdesk' app - I am happy to have a pop at writing
> the
> component myself, but wasn't sure the best way...presumably I would need
> be scanning the C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Mailbox\<--mail box name--> directory
> on
> the server for a new file - I could achieve this I suppose by using a
> database to record whats currently there, then every 5 minutes or so scan
> it
> again and compare to the database...
>
> Anyone done anything similiar in the past? I think I would like to write
> the
> component myself to just get it to do exactly what I need - does the
> 'theory' above sound ok or are there other ways...
>
> Ideally I want to be able to determine if a ticket number is in the email
> header and then write a new row to a database and send an email or
> something...
>
> Any info appreciated,
>
> Regards
>
> Rob

Rob Meade

"Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

> Why do you think this should be a component? Sounds like it should be an
> application scheduled with Windows scheduler...

Hi Aaron,

Just assumed to be honest, because there appearing to be so very many 'mail'
components around I guessed that this is what I'd need...

As it happens I have written a windows service in .net which is about half
way to doing what I want..its checking the mailbox, currently writing to the
event log, and I'm now trying to get it to dump some data to SQL server -
this is where I'm getting an error at the moment...

Has been an interesting ride - but its taken a while!

Regards

Rob

Rob Meade

"Rob Meade" wrote ...

> and I'm now trying to get it to dump some data to SQL server -
> this is where I'm getting an error at the moment...

but is now working - yay )