Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Accessing another computer's administrative shares

Accessing another computer's administrative shares

Birthday

Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers that
have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to make an
application that I can administrate all the files in the network computers
(in my network from my ISS based web page.

Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how? Please
tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make it
easy to understand for me.

Thank you.

Lance Wynn

You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way would
be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)

That should work

"Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers that
have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to make an
application that I can administrate all the files in the network computers
(in my network from my ISS based web page.

Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how? Please
tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make it
easy to understand for me.

Thank you.

Birthday

How can I use NT Authentication in ASP? I do not know much about it. Could
you give an example?

"Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
> computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way

would
> be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)
>
> That should work
>

> "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
> administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers

that
> have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
> have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to make

an
> application that I can administrate all the files in the network computers
> (in my network from my ISS based web page.
>
> Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how? Please
> tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make it
> easy to understand for me.
>
> Thank you.

Lance Wynn

It's not an ASP setting, it's a setting in your IIS Admin console. Right
Click on the web in the IIS Admin Console, and click the Security Tab.
There you can find instructions, and if you click F1, it will give you
detailed help on it.

"Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
How can I use NT Authentication in ASP? I do not know much about it. Could
you give an example?

"Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
> computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way

would
> be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)
>
> That should work
>

> "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
> administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers

that
> have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
> have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to make

an
> application that I can administrate all the files in the network computers
> (in my network from my ISS based web page.
>
> Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how? Please
> tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make it
> easy to understand for me.
>
> Thank you.

Birthday

Thank you for your reply and explanation. But is there any other way to
introduce my computer as the administrator (with the administrator password
of the computer which I want to connect in my network) with ASP. Because
periodically harddisks of the all computers in my network is formatted and a
new Xp or 2000 system installed but administrator accounts and passwords
remain same for the newly installed operating system.

Thank you.

"Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's not an ASP setting, it's a setting in your IIS Admin console. Right
> Click on the web in the IIS Admin Console, and click the Security Tab.
> There you can find instructions, and if you click F1, it will give you
> detailed help on it.
>

> "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I use NT Authentication in ASP? I do not know much about it. Could
> you give an example?
>

> "Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
> > computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way

> would
> > be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)
> >
> > That should work
> >

> > "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
> > administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers

> that
> > have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
> > have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to

make
> an
> > application that I can administrate all the files in the network

computers
> > (in my network from my ISS based web page.
> >
> > Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how?

Please
> > tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make

it
> > easy to understand for me.
> >
> > Thank you.

Lance Wynn

If the Admin password is the same on all the computers, you can use that
password to login to your ASP App, and it should work. A domain, or AD user
would probably be preferred though

"Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
Thank you for your reply and explanation. But is there any other way to
introduce my computer as the administrator (with the administrator password
of the computer which I want to connect in my network) with ASP. Because
periodically harddisks of the all computers in my network is formatted and a
new Xp or 2000 system installed but administrator accounts and passwords
remain same for the newly installed operating system.

Thank you.

"Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's not an ASP setting, it's a setting in your IIS Admin console. Right
> Click on the web in the IIS Admin Console, and click the Security Tab.
> There you can find instructions, and if you click F1, it will give you
> detailed help on it.
>

> "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I use NT Authentication in ASP? I do not know much about it. Could
> you give an example?
>

> "Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
> > computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way

> would
> > be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)
> >
> > That should work
> >

> > "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
> > administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers

> that
> > have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
> > have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to

make
> an
> > application that I can administrate all the files in the network

computers
> > (in my network from my ISS based web page.
> >
> > Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how?

Please
> > tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make

it
> > easy to understand for me.
> >
> > Thank you.

Chris Barber

In real terms there are two (see later for a third) possible means of making
an ASP site run under a specific user account (eg. a domain administrator
account) to allow access administrative shares.

1. In IIS settings for the website, remove anonymous login and enable basic
or integrated authentication. Basic will pass passwords across the net (or
LAN) in clear whilst integrated will use the local client account if
applicable or prompt for a full login using NT challenge and response
(passwords are never sent in clear with this method and as such is the
preferred - won;t work though most proxy servers though).

2. Set the user account that the ASP website runs under for the anonymous
login to be a domain administrator account (not good because anyone visiting
the site will then be running under the domain administrative account so
it's only really useful for internal LAN and even then you have to be
careful).

A third option is available. You can use scripts that explicitly set the
user account that they will run under using VBS. However, you have to allow
shell scripts to run from the site by changing an IIS metabase setting (it's
turned off by default because of the security reasons - eg. you could
instantiate Word, Excel, run your own uploaded executables etc.).

Hope this helps.

Chris.

"Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
Thank you for your reply and explanation. But is there any other way to
introduce my computer as the administrator (with the administrator password
of the computer which I want to connect in my network) with ASP. Because
periodically harddisks of the all computers in my network is formatted and a
new Xp or 2000 system installed but administrator accounts and passwords
remain same for the newly installed operating system.

Thank you.

"Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's not an ASP setting, it's a setting in your IIS Admin console. Right
> Click on the web in the IIS Admin Console, and click the Security Tab.
> There you can find instructions, and if you click F1, it will give you
> detailed help on it.
>

> "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I use NT Authentication in ASP? I do not know much about it. Could
> you give an example?
>

> "Lance Wynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You just need to give permission to the administrative shares on the
> > computers to the user that is running the ASP application (A good way

> would
> > be to make the ASP App use NT Authentication vs. anonymous)
> >
> > That should work
> >

> > "Birthday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other computer's
> > administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are computers

> that
> > have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the computers
> > have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to

make
> an
> > application that I can administrate all the files in the network

computers
> > (in my network from my ISS based web page.
> >
> > Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how?

Please
> > tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make

it
> > easy to understand for me.
> >
> > Thank you.

Roland Hall

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: 1. In IIS settings for the website, remove anonymous login and enable
basic
: or integrated authentication. Basic will pass passwords across the net (or
: LAN) in clear whilst integrated will use the local client account if
: applicable or prompt for a full login using NT challenge and response
: (passwords are never sent in clear with this method and as such is the
: preferred - won;t work though most proxy servers though).

Using integrated authentication, the password is never sent, plain or
otherwise. A prompt is offered only after authentication fails because the
server assumes the user might know an account, with credentials, that will
authenticate properly. The credentials are not sent over the site. The
server actually sends an encrypted message the user could decrypt if they
had the right credentials and respond successfully.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...re/iiabasc.htm

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Birthday

Thank you for giving useful informations but probably I explain the problem
wrongly. My English is not so good so I'll write the problem a basic way. We
can think about a network which have only two computers. One of them is mine
(which is administrator computer) and the other is user computer. In my
computer, I run ISS but the user computer does not. So ASP application is
located in the my computer which has to connect the user's computer's
administrative shares with a password and list the files in c$. Changing any
setttings of user computer is not useful for me because it will be formatted
and installed new windows 2000 or xp periodically.

How can I connect in the explained way with ASP. Is there any connection
object that can handle the connection to a computer through network, for
example. If the information in your replies can solve the problem, I am
totally sorry but cannot understand. Please make the answer easy for me.

> [...]

> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi, I try to make an ASP application that can access to other

computer's
> > > administrative shares like (c$, d$) in the network. There are

computers
> > that
> > > have XP Professional or 2000 installed in the network. All the

computers
> > > have "administrator" account and password for this account. I try to

> make
> > an
> > > application that I can administrate all the files in the network

> computers
> > > (in my network from my ISS based web page.
> > >
> > > Can this type of application can be done by using ASP? If yes, how?

> Please
> > > tell me the details about it, because of being new in ASP, please make

Roland Hall

"Birthday" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Only Administrators can connect to administrative shares.

Untested, if you set your 'IIS' [not ISS] security settings to Integrated
and the user was logged on with their domain account and their domain user
account had Admin rights to their system, AND you had a virtual directory to
their computer using the their administrative share, would you then have the
access you need?

However, it begs the question of why would a user need to connect to an ASP
page to access something on their local drive where they had administrative
access?