Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Invalid session when a new IE window is opened using window.open()

Invalid session when a new IE window is opened using window.open()

raj

Hello,
I am running into this strange session invalid issue when I open a new
browser window using javascript's window.open(). I have a portlet
running on Jetspeed portal. I have two different links on this portal
which point to two different applications running on two "different"
ports on an application server. On click of each link I invoke
window.open() with the URL for that link and it invokes a child
browser with that URL. Now, when I click both the links from the
parent window, I am able to open 2 different browser windows but when
I try to access the applications in these windows, it throws me a
SessionTimeOut exception invalidating the session.

My idea was to make it available to the user so that the user can (if
wanted) open two links in two differnt browsers and work
simultaneously. I was told that when window.open() is used, it just
opens a IE window but not a IE process and thus carries the same
session. I want it to be new session whenever the user clicks those
links as they are different applications and should be dealt
differently. Is there a work around for this?

Are there any settings in IE that I can force to create a new IE
process when the link is clicked or is there any thing that I can do
in Javascript to make this work. I spend almost a whole day
researching on this but in vain. Please let me know if you guys have
any ideas.

TIA,
Gnan

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

What IE version are you using?

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire

"raj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello,
> I am running into this strange session invalid issue when I open a new
> browser window using javascript's window.open(). I have a portlet
> running on Jetspeed portal. I have two different links on this portal
> which point to two different applications running on two "different"
> ports on an application server. On click of each link I invoke
> window.open() with the URL for that link and it invokes a child
> browser with that URL. Now, when I click both the links from the
> parent window, I am able to open 2 different browser windows but when
> I try to access the applications in these windows, it throws me a
> SessionTimeOut exception invalidating the session.
>
> My idea was to make it available to the user so that the user can (if
> wanted) open two links in two differnt browsers and work
> simultaneously. I was told that when window.open() is used, it just
> opens a IE window but not a IE process and thus carries the same
> session. I want it to be new session whenever the user clicks those
> links as they are different applications and should be dealt
> differently. Is there a work around for this?
>
> Are there any settings in IE that I can force to create a new IE
> process when the link is clicked or is there any thing that I can do
> in Javascript to make this work. I spend almost a whole day
> researching on this but in vain. Please let me know if you guys have
> any ideas.
>
> TIA,
> Gnan

Gnan Shabada

Hi,
I am using IE 5.50.4134 with SP1 fix pack and q279177 patch.

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

I don't know much about IE 5.5, but there must be an option that says "New
session for new window" in the browser options. This was taken out in IE 6,
and now IE defaults to keeping sessions as the parent page.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire

"Gnan Shabada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23f$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
> I am using IE 5.50.4134 with SP1 fix pack and q279177 patch.

J. Baute

What happens if you create a new window by pressing CTRL-N, or right
clickign a link and selecting "open in new window"?

Btw, is your homepage in IE set to a local page (file:// protocol, not a
http:// site). This is known to cause session loss when popups are
generated as well.

"raj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello,
> I am running into this strange session invalid issue when I open a new
> browser window using javascript's window.open(). I have a portlet
> running on Jetspeed portal. I have two different links on this portal
> which point to two different applications running on two "different"
> ports on an application server. On click of each link I invoke
> window.open() with the URL for that link and it invokes a child
> browser with that URL. Now, when I click both the links from the
> parent window, I am able to open 2 different browser windows but when
> I try to access the applications in these windows, it throws me a
> SessionTimeOut exception invalidating the session.
>
> My idea was to make it available to the user so that the user can (if
> wanted) open two links in two differnt browsers and work
> simultaneously. I was told that when window.open() is used, it just
> opens a IE window but not a IE process and thus carries the same
> session. I want it to be new session whenever the user clicks those
> links as they are different applications and should be dealt
> differently. Is there a work around for this?
>
> Are there any settings in IE that I can force to create a new IE
> process when the link is clicked or is there any thing that I can do
> in Javascript to make this work. I spend almost a whole day
> researching on this but in vain. Please let me know if you guys have
> any ideas.
>
> TIA,
> Gnan

Gnan Shabada

I checked all the options for the browser. No where that says to create
a new session when a new window is opened. I guess they had it prior to
IE5 but no more.

No, my browser's homepage starts with http:// and it behaves the same
way even if i right-click and say Open in New window for use Ctrl+N for
new window. In either cases, it doesn't spawn a new IE process. Is there
any option in Javascript that can be turned on/off to force it to create
unique sessions for each opened window??

Gnan Shabada

Hi,
[...]

Thanks

"J. Baute" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4074f5e2$0$1966$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> What happens if you create a new window by pressing CTRL-N, or right
> clickign a link and selecting "open in new window"?
>
> Btw, is your homepage in IE set to a local page (file:// protocol, not a
> http:// site). This is known to cause session loss when popups are
> generated as well.
>
> "raj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Hello,
> > I am running into this strange session invalid issue when I open a new
> > browser window using javascript's window.open(). I have a portlet
> > running on Jetspeed portal. I have two different links on this portal
> > which point to two different applications running on two "different"
> > ports on an application server. On click of each link I invoke
> > window.open() with the URL for that link and it invokes a child
> > browser with that URL. Now, when I click both the links from the
> > parent window, I am able to open 2 different browser windows but when
> > I try to access the applications in these windows, it throws me a
> > SessionTimeOut exception invalidating the session.
> >
> > My idea was to make it available to the user so that the user can (if
> > wanted) open two links in two differnt browsers and work
> > simultaneously. I was told that when window.open() is used, it just
> > opens a IE window but not a IE process and thus carries the same
> > session. I want it to be new session whenever the user clicks those
> > links as they are different applications and should be dealt
> > differently. Is there a work around for this?
> >
> > Are there any settings in IE that I can force to create a new IE
> > process when the link is clicked or is there any thing that I can do
> > in Javascript to make this work. I spend almost a whole day
> > researching on this but in vain. Please let me know if you guys have
> > any ideas.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Gnan

J. Baute

"Gnan Shabada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> No, my browser's homepage starts with http:// and it behaves the same
> way even if i right-click and say Open in New window for use Ctrl+N for
> new window. In either cases, it doesn't spawn a new IE process. Is there
> any option in Javascript that can be turned on/off to force it to create
> unique sessions for each opened window??

No, there is't a way to control sessions from clientside JavaScript.
It's odd you don't get the same problems with Ctrl+N, cause basically that's
just what window.open() does as well.
Have you tried using a different browser like Mozilla or Opera? If it's a
browser issue it should work in at least one of those, otherwise it's
probably something serverside.