Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > how many page hits specified date range

how many page hits specified date range

Garyrek

Hi

I have a requirement where I need to make a report for each auto dealer how many hits they got on specified date range, so for each car detail page I increment the counter and total it while doing that I store the last hit date, this gives the total hits for the dealer BUT does not facilitate date range

How do I give the user a date range so that he can check how many hits the dealer got lets say for last week OR last couple of days?

Thanks much!

Gary

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

Are you not storing this in a database? That would be the ideal solution --
just implement a simple function that logs hits to a page, along with a time
stamp. It is also very flexible to report on whatever other parameters you
want to report on.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire

"Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi

I have a requirement where I need to make a report for each auto dealer how
many hits they got on specified date range, so for each car detail page I
increment the counter and total it while doing that I store the last hit
date, this gives the total hits for the dealer BUT does not facilitate date
range

How do I give the user a date range so that he can check how many hits the
dealer got lets say for last week OR last couple of days?

Thanks much!

Gary

Garyrek

this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having this
I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for last
one week or couple of days....
"Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you not storing this in a database? That would be the ideal

solution --
> just implement a simple function that logs hits to a page, along with a

time
> stamp. It is also very flexible to report on whatever other parameters you
> want to report on.
>
> --
> Manohar Kamath
> Editor, .netWire
> www.dotnetwire.com
>

> "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a requirement where I need to make a report for each auto dealer

how
> many hits they got on specified date range, so for each car detail page I
> increment the counter and total it while doing that I store the last hit
> date, this gives the total hits for the dealer BUT does not facilitate

date
> range
>
> How do I give the user a date range so that he can check how many hits the
> dealer got lets say for last week OR last couple of days?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Gary

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Then change what you're storing. The database can't magically extrapolate
data you've already compressed.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having
> this
> I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for last
> one week or couple of days....

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that you
can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely

Link Hit Time
---------- -----
1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM

Collecting more data can only help you.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire
www.dotnetwire.com

"Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having

this
> I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for last
> one week or couple of days....
> "Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Are you not storing this in a database? That would be the ideal

> solution --
> > just implement a simple function that logs hits to a page, along with a

> time
> > stamp. It is also very flexible to report on whatever other parameters

you
> > want to report on.
> >
> > --
> > Manohar Kamath
> > Editor, .netWire
> > www.dotnetwire.com
> >

> > "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a requirement where I need to make a report for each auto dealer

> how
> > many hits they got on specified date range, so for each car detail page

> > increment the counter and total it while doing that I store the last hit
> > date, this gives the total hits for the dealer BUT does not facilitate

> date
> > range
> >
> > How do I give the user a date range so that he can check how many hits

the
> > dealer got lets say for last week OR last couple of days?
> >
> > Thanks much!
> >
> > Gary

Garyrek

Hi Manohar / Aaron
I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or using
pagecounter component?

thanks

Girish

"Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u4Ixs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that you
> can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely
>
> Link Hit Time
> ---------- -----
> 1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
> 1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
> 2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM
>
> Collecting more data can only help you.
>
> --
> Manohar Kamath
> Editor, .netWire
> www.dotnetwire.com
>

> "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having

> this
> > I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for

last
> > one week or couple of days....
> > "Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Are you not storing this in a database? That would be the ideal

> > solution --
> > > just implement a simple function that logs hits to a page, along with

> > time
> > > stamp. It is also very flexible to report on whatever other parameters

> you
> > > want to report on.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Manohar Kamath
> > > Editor, .netWire
> > > www.dotnetwire.com
> > >

> > > "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have a requirement where I need to make a report for each auto

dealer
> > how
> > > many hits they got on specified date range, so for each car detail

page
> > > increment the counter and total it while doing that I store the last

hit
> > > date, this gives the total hits for the dealer BUT does not facilitate

> > date
> > > range
> > >
> > > How do I give the user a date range so that he can check how many hits

> the
> > > dealer got lets say for last week OR last couple of days?
> > >
> > > Thanks much!
> > >
> > > Gary

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

You could have a background process summarize the rows each day into daily /
weekly buckets, and then delete out of the heavy usage table. That way the
table does not go out of control, it has at most a week of data at any one
time.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Manohar / Aaron
> I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
> henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or
> using
> pagecounter component?
>
> thanks
>
> Girish
>
> "Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u4Ixs$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that
>> you
>> can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely
>>
>> Link Hit Time
>> ---------- -----
>> 1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
>> 1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
>> 2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM
>>
>> Collecting more data can only help you.
>>
>> --
>> Manohar Kamath
>> Editor, .netWire
>> www.dotnetwire.com
>>

>> "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having

>> this
>> > I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for

> last
>> > one week or couple of days....
>> > "Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > solution --

>> > time

>> you

> dealer
>> > how

> page

> hit
>> > date

>> the

Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:06:47 -0800, "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi Manohar / Aaron
>I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
>henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or using
>pagecounter component?

Why not analyze the web server log files for thyis information
instead?

Jeff

>"Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:u4Ixs$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that you
>> can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely
>>
>> Link Hit Time
>> ---------- -----
>> 1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
>> 1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
>> 2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM
>>
>> Collecting more data can only help you.
>>
>> --
>> Manohar Kamath
>> Editor, .netWire
>> www.dotnetwire.com
>>

>> "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having

>> this
>> > I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for

>last
>> > one week or couple of days....
>> > "Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > solution --

>> > time

>> you

>dealer
>> > how

>page

>hit
>> > date

>> the

Garyrek

how do I analyze web server log files, any third party tool?

Thanks

"Jeff Cochran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:06:47 -0800, "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Manohar / Aaron
> >I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
> >henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or

using
> >pagecounter component?

> Why not analyze the web server log files for thyis information
> instead?
>
> Jeff
>
> >"Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:u4Ixs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that

you
> >> can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely
> >>
> >> Link Hit Time
> >> ---------- -----
> >> 1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
> >> 1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
> >> 2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM
> >>
> >> Collecting more data can only help you.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Manohar Kamath
> >> Editor, .netWire
> >> www.dotnetwire.com
> >>

> >> "Garyrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

having
> >> this

> >last

message

with

parameters
> >> you

> >dealer

> >page

last
> >hit

facilitate

hits
> >> the

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

There is a log parser available (free) from Microsoft. You can query the IIS
logs like a database:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-ac851fc166a4

There are other tools available try looking for "IIS Log Tool" on Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...q=IIS+Log+Tool