Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > CS0016 Error suddenly happened and persist

CS0016 Error suddenly happened and persist

FrzzMan[

Yesterday, all my ASP.NET running fine, at least this error didn't
raise. Today, I turned on the PC at the morning and receive this error:

Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file
'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET
Files\flexnewsdotnet\36c8c83f\1ce438d6\-ognayiy.dll' -- 'Access is denied.'

I checked the permission for the ASPNET account in Temporary ASP.NET
Files folder and Temp folder, it won't work. I tried to delete the
content in Temporary ASP.NET Files, I can't, then I notice there's a
process named w3wp.exe running, I killed it and I can delete the folder
content.

But the problem still persist, I reset the PC over and over, still the
same...

Should I reinstall ASP.NET, I think it won't help... there's must be
some reason and fix around, please help...

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

if the process is w3wp.exe, you are using Windows Server 2003, right? If
that's the case, unless you haven't changed default settings) the user
ASP.NET runs under is NETWORK SERVICE and you need to give permissions to
the Temporary ASp.NET files for this user.

Between the two days, was there any updates to the machine like from Windows
update or something?

--
Teemu Keiski
http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Teemu Keiski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if the process is w3wp.exe, you are using Windows Server 2003, right? If
> that's the case, unless you haven't changed default settings) the user
> ASP.NET runs under is NETWORK SERVICE and you need to give permissions to
> the Temporary ASp.NET files for this user.
>
> Between the two days, was there any updates to the machine like from Windows
> update or something?

Yes the OS is WS2k3 Enterprise, but it's trial version, btw I don't
think it's because of the OS is the "trial"...

I uninstall IIS, ASP.NET and reinstall it... it run fine, well, until I
restart the machine...

Can't understand this thing... why did it mess everything up???

The permissions are all correct I'm sure, but I don't know why it didn't
work...

FrzzMan[

Teemu Keiski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if the process is w3wp.exe, you are using Windows Server 2003, right? If
> that's the case, unless you haven't changed default settings) the user
> ASP.NET runs under is NETWORK SERVICE and you need to give permissions to
> the Temporary ASp.NET files for this user.
>
> Between the two days, was there any updates to the machine like from Windows
> update or something?

I noticed something, the application run fine until I changed something
in the code. When I rebuild the project, it work fine. But when I reopen
it in browser, the error raised.

In the Task Manager Process List, there're two w3wp.exe process still
running, it keep running even when I close all the applications. Maybe
this is the problem...

One process owned by NETWORK SERVICE, and one owned by System. Is it
normal behavior to leave them running forever? Even I can not make
change to the temp directory if I didn't kill w3wp.exe process owned by
NETWORK SERVICE.

So someone here please help, do some change to your project, rebuild it
and open the application in the browser, then open Task Manager to see
if w3wp.exe still running? If not, then maybe I have to reinstall the OS