Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CDONTS - Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

CDONTS - Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Seeker

Hi!

I have to do some developing and I'm trying to configure my server to mimic
the operation of our production server. The issue I'm having is that I'm
trying to use CDONTS to send an email under IIS on a Windows 2003 Server.
The server does not have the SMTP service running, but I do have a third
party SMTP/POP/IMAP server running.

I have copied the CDONTS.DLL file and registered it. In the Web Serice
Extensions I have enabled the CDONTS.DLL file.

The object appears to be created properly, but I get an error when the SEND
method executes. (Error and Code shown below)

Obviously I'm missing something else here... Can anyone lend a hand?

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied

/shaw/tsrnet/Common_Modules/Mail.asp, line 84

'... some code ...
Set objMail = server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
objMail.BodyFormat = 0
objMail.MailFormat = 0
objMail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
objMail.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
objMail.Subject = "Subject Here"
objMail.Body = "Message Body Here"
objMail.Send ' **** ERROR HERE ***
Set objMail = nothing
'... some more code ...

Ray at

Be sure that IUSR_[server name] has NTFS permissions to write files to
\inetpub\mailroot\pickup.

Ray at home

"Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have to do some developing and I'm trying to configure my server to

mimic
> the operation of our production server. The issue I'm having is that I'm
> trying to use CDONTS to send an email under IIS on a Windows 2003 Server.
> The server does not have the SMTP service running, but I do have a third
> party SMTP/POP/IMAP server running.
>
> I have copied the CDONTS.DLL file and registered it. In the Web Serice
> Extensions I have enabled the CDONTS.DLL file.
>
> The object appears to be created properly, but I get an error when the

SEND
> method executes. (Error and Code shown below)
>
> Obviously I'm missing something else here... Can anyone lend a hand?
>
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
>
> Permission denied
>
> /shaw/tsrnet/Common_Modules/Mail.asp, line 84
>

> '... some code ...
> Set objMail = server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
> objMail.BodyFormat = 0
> objMail.MailFormat = 0
> objMail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> objMail.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> objMail.Subject = "Subject Here"
> objMail.Body = "Message Body Here"
> objMail.Send ' **** ERROR HERE ***
> Set objMail = nothing
> '... some more code ...

Seeker

Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
(didn't expect it to).

I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of the
IIS SMTP server.

From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get CDONTS
to work under Win2K3...

Any other help would be appreaciated.

message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Be sure that IUSR_[server name] has NTFS permissions to write files to
> \inetpub\mailroot\pickup.
>
> Ray at home
>
> "Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have to do some developing and I'm trying to configure my server to

> mimic
> > the operation of our production server. The issue I'm having is that I'm
> > trying to use CDONTS to send an email under IIS on a Windows 2003

Server.
> > The server does not have the SMTP service running, but I do have a third
> > party SMTP/POP/IMAP server running.
> >
> > I have copied the CDONTS.DLL file and registered it. In the Web Serice
> > Extensions I have enabled the CDONTS.DLL file.
> >
> > The object appears to be created properly, but I get an error when the

> SEND
> > method executes. (Error and Code shown below)
> >
> > Obviously I'm missing something else here... Can anyone lend a hand?
> >
> > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
> >
> > Permission denied
> >
> > /shaw/tsrnet/Common_Modules/Mail.asp, line 84
> >

> > '... some code ...
> > Set objMail = server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
> > objMail.BodyFormat = 0
> > objMail.MailFormat = 0
> > objMail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > objMail.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > objMail.Subject = "Subject Here"
> > objMail.Body = "Message Body Here"
> > objMail.Send ' **** ERROR HERE ***
> > Set objMail = nothing
> > '... some more code ...

Ray at

> Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
> (didn't expect it to).

That's different. Is SMTP installed?

> I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of the
> IIS SMTP server.

Not if you're using CDONTS, as that doesn't support external SMTP servers.

> From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get

CDONTS
> to work under Win2K3...

Oh, you're using Win2K3, eh? CDONTS doesn't exist in 2003. Use CDO.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

Ray at work

Seeker

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
> > (didn't expect it to).
> >

> That's different. Is SMTP installed?
>

> > I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of

the
> > IIS SMTP server.

> Not if you're using CDONTS, as that doesn't support external SMTP servers.
>

> > From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get

> CDONTS
> > to work under Win2K3...

> Oh, you're using Win2K3, eh? CDONTS doesn't exist in 2003. Use CDO.
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

I don't have a choice... the server I'm coding for uses CDONTS.

I did install CDONTS and register it.

Lack of the MS SMTP server is what's killing me I think. I've got a work
around so it isn't urgent.

Thanks for the help!

Ray at

Who made that decision to install and use CDONTS? The person should be
fired. ;] If SMTP isn't installed on the server, I do not believe that
CDONTS will work. I mean, you could create a \inetpub\mailroot\pickup
folder and have CDONTS do its thing, but the messages won't go anywhere.

> > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

> I don't have a choice... the server I'm coding for uses CDONTS.
>
> I did install CDONTS and register it.
>
> Lack of the MS SMTP server is what's killing me I think. I've got a work
> around so it isn't urgent.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Vilmar Brazão de Oliveira

Hi,
If IIS SMTP SERVER is not sending your messages you can try this too:
go to properties of your smtp server/delivering/advanced/intelligent host
So you can put the address of other smtp server on your net or even out your
net.
Try it too!
bye,
--

Sem mais,

Vlmar Brazão de Oliveira
Desenvolvimento Web
HI-TEC
"Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> escreveu na
mensagem news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Who made that decision to install and use CDONTS? The person should be
> fired. ;] If SMTP isn't installed on the server, I do not believe that
> CDONTS will work. I mean, you could create a \inetpub\mailroot\pickup
> folder and have CDONTS do its thing, but the messages won't go anywhere.
>
> Ray at home
>
> "Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

> > I don't have a choice... the server I'm coding for uses CDONTS.
> >
> > I did install CDONTS and register it.
> >
> > Lack of the MS SMTP server is what's killing me I think. I've got a work
> > around so it isn't urgent.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!

Vilmar Brazão de Oliveira

Hi,
If IIS SMTP SERVER is not sending your messages you can try this too:
go to properties of your smtp server/delivering/advanced/intelligent host
So you can put the address of other smtp server on your net or even out your
net.
Try it too!
bye,
--

Sem mais,

Vlmar Brazão de Oliveira
Desenvolvimento Web
HI-TEC
"Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
> Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
> (didn't expect it to).
>
> I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of the
> IIS SMTP server.
>
> From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get

CDONTS
> to work under Win2K3...
>
> Any other help would be appreaciated.
>
> "Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in
> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Be sure that IUSR_[server name] has NTFS permissions to write files to
> > \inetpub\mailroot\pickup.
> >
> > Ray at home
> >
> > "Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have to do some developing and I'm trying to configure my server to

> > mimic
> > > the operation of our production server. The issue I'm having is that

I'm
> > > trying to use CDONTS to send an email under IIS on a Windows 2003

> Server.
> > > The server does not have the SMTP service running, but I do have a

third
> > > party SMTP/POP/IMAP server running.
> > >
> > > I have copied the CDONTS.DLL file and registered it. In the Web

Serice
> > > Extensions I have enabled the CDONTS.DLL file.
> > >
> > > The object appears to be created properly, but I get an error when the

> > SEND
> > > method executes. (Error and Code shown below)
> > >
> > > Obviously I'm missing something else here... Can anyone lend a hand?
> > >
> > > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
> > >
> > > Permission denied
> > >
> > > /shaw/tsrnet/Common_Modules/Mail.asp, line 84
> > >

> > > '... some code ...
> > > Set objMail = server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
> > > objMail.BodyFormat = 0
> > > objMail.MailFormat = 0
> > > objMail.From = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > > objMail.To = "(E-Mail Removed)"
> > > objMail.Subject = "Subject Here"
> > > objMail.Body = "Message Body Here"
> > > objMail.Send ' **** ERROR HERE ***
> > > Set objMail = nothing
> > > '... some more code ...

Roland Hall

:
[...]

See if you have covered everything:
http://www.genesis-hosting.com/?pagename=cdontshowto

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Seeker

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Who made that decision to install and use CDONTS? The person should be
> fired. ;]

Well, the production server is running NT I believe. It's my OWN development
server that's running Win2K3, so I'm trying to add the CDONTS functionality
to my own server.

> If SMTP isn't installed on the server, I do not believe that
> CDONTS will work. I mean, you could create a \inetpub\mailroot\pickup
> folder and have CDONTS do its thing, but the messages won't go anywhere.

Thanks! Thats what I figured.