Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP hang on XP IIS 5.1

ASP hang on XP IIS 5.1

Ido Zur

The problem:

We have ASP application that uses WSC as data access tier
to SQL Server, and it runs well on windows 2000 server
IIS 5.0.
When we install the application on XP with IIS 5.1 the
browser hang from time to time.
When testing with a network sniffer we found out that
sometimes the browser request an ASP page and don't get a
response from the server.
When the browser hangs there are no errors in the event
log and the appication is working from another browser.
It's not a specific ASP page that stops responding, but
it usually happens after the browser is left for few
minutes without clicking (even though the session is not
over yet).
there are not 3rd party objects in the server,
and we made sure that we used server side objects.
It seems that after upgrading the script engine in the XP
to 6.5.0.8515 the problem disappears.

Is there a know problem with the script engine 5.6.0.6626
that ships with XP? Or did we make a mistake in the ASP
scripts?

We need to explain something to our customers.

Thanks
Ido Zur

Ray at

Are you using the FSO in these pages that hang?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180

Ray at work

"Ido Zur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2dc201c40077$a0afcac0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem:
>
> We have ASP application that uses WSC as data access tier
> to SQL Server, and it runs well on windows 2000 server
> IIS 5.0.
> When we install the application on XP with IIS 5.1 the
> browser hang from time to time.
> When testing with a network sniffer we found out that
> sometimes the browser request an ASP page and don't get a
> response from the server.
> When the browser hangs there are no errors in the event
> log and the appication is working from another browser.
> It's not a specific ASP page that stops responding, but
> it usually happens after the browser is left for few
> minutes without clicking (even though the session is not
> over yet).
> there are not 3rd party objects in the server,
> and we made sure that we used server side objects.
> It seems that after upgrading the script engine in the XP
> to 6.5.0.8515 the problem disappears.
>
> Is there a know problem with the script engine 5.6.0.6626
> that ships with XP? Or did we make a mistake in the ASP
> scripts?
>
> We need to explain something to our customers.
>
> Thanks
> Ido Zur

Ido Zur

No FSO, and on the test machine we don't have anti virus
as well, just clean XP SP1 with SQL server 2000 SP3 and
Java machine from Sun.

thanks

Ido

Ray at

Okay, then we'll have to see a relevant code snippet that is causing the
hang.

Ray at work

"Ido Zur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2e5601c4007f$638f0360$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No FSO, and on the test machine we don't have anti virus
> as well, just clean XP SP1 with SQL server 2000 SP3 and
> Java machine from Sun.
>
> thanks
>
> Ido

Dear Ray

we don't know where to look for. we have an empty ASP
page that we call every 5 mintures just to refresh the
session timer, and even this page hangs occasionaly.

the only clue is that Pat from the "General" IIS newgroup
read the output of the IISState utility and said that the
threads are working fines but there is an ASP thread that
is trying to cleanup something and it waits.

and of course the fact that the update script engine made
the problem disapear.

thanks

Ido Zur

in
>> message
>> >news:2dc201c40077$a0afcac0$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> tier

server

the

that

>> get a

event

browser.

but

>> not

the
>> XP

>> 5.6.0.6626

ASP

>> >.
>> >

>.

Ray at

Well, I think that one of the first things you have to examine is the code.
Are there any loops? Is it the same page all the time? Aside from the code
and your network sniffing, it couldn't hurt to [re]install service packs and
things like that, as well.

Ray at work

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:630501c4012e$cd532c40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Ray
>
> we don't know where to look for. we have an empty ASP
> page that we call every 5 mintures just to refresh the
> session timer, and even this page hangs occasionaly.
>
> the only clue is that Pat from the "General" IIS newgroup
> read the output of the IISState utility and said that the
> threads are working fines but there is an ASP thread that
> is trying to cleanup something and it waits.
>
> and of course the fact that the update script engine made
> the problem disapear.
>
> thanks
>
> Ido Zur

Troubleshooting IIS "Hang" / Postback Not Working happyinst ASP .Net 2 10-09-2012 03:11 PM
Export very large excel hang IIS Newbro ASP General 3 07-05-2008 10:22 PM
Old (pooled) ASP pages makes dllhost.exe to hang after inst. .Net 1.1 Dag Sunde ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 02:52 PM
IIS/ASP.NET Hang Craig Pearson ASP .Net 1 11-24-2003 05:42 PM
IIS ASP Tutorial Example DisplayAds.asp damages irreversibly IIS! Guennadi V. Vanine ASP General 0 08-21-2003 07:11 PM

Advertisments