Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Shared Bin Directory to share DLLs?

Shared Bin Directory to share DLLs?

jack

Hello,

I have about 100 Web Sites on Windows 2003. I have a library that is a DLL
that has functions I use the Web Sites. If I need to update the code, I
have to go and copy over all 100 DLL in the Bin directory of that web site.
I would like to have all my DLLs in one place and reference them through out
my web sties. This way I could just update one DLL spot and all 100 Sites
would be updates.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jack

Peter Rilling

Register the assembly in the GAC.

"jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have about 100 Web Sites on Windows 2003. I have a library that is a

DLL
> that has functions I use the Web Sites. If I need to update the code, I
> have to go and copy over all 100 DLL in the Bin directory of that web

site.
> I would like to have all my DLLs in one place and reference them through

out
> my web sties. This way I could just update one DLL spot and all 100 Sites
> would be updates.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Jack

jack

Hello,

Thanks for answering, wat is the GAC, and how do I register it?

Thanks for you help,

Jack

"Peter Rilling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Register the assembly in the GAC.
>
> "jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have about 100 Web Sites on Windows 2003. I have a library that is a

> DLL
> > that has functions I use the Web Sites. If I need to update the code, I
> > have to go and copy over all 100 DLL in the Bin directory of that web

> site.
> > I would like to have all my DLLs in one place and reference them through

> out
> > my web sties. This way I could just update one DLL spot and all 100

Sites
> > would be updates.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help,
> >
> > Jack

Peter Rilling

The Global Assembly Cache (GAC) is the way Microsoft allows shared
components to be install outside of any single application environment and
still be accessible. Read the following articles to learn about the GAC.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...asp?frame=true
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...asp?frame=true

"jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for answering, wat is the GAC, and how do I register it?
>
> Thanks for you help,
>
> Jack
>
> "Peter Rilling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Register the assembly in the GAC.
> >
> > "jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have about 100 Web Sites on Windows 2003. I have a library that is

> > DLL
> > > that has functions I use the Web Sites. If I need to update the code,

> > > have to go and copy over all 100 DLL in the Bin directory of that web

> > site.
> > > I would like to have all my DLLs in one place and reference them

through
> > out
> > > my web sties. This way I could just update one DLL spot and all 100

> Sites
> > > would be updates.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help,
> > >
> > > Jack

Phill. W

Peter,

Is that enough?

I've had instances where trying to move a project from using a local
assembly (in the bin directory) to one in the G.A.C. is a proverbial
PITA. I think it's related to the "Copy Local" setting in Visual Studio
when you add the reference and "persuading" 'Studio to /not/ look
locally for the Dll any more was quite an effort.

Regards,
Phill W.