Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Saving an ASP form to a text file

Saving an ASP form to a text file

Kevin Ingram

Ok, this is probably a silly question but I just keep hitting a brick wall
here.

I usually develop my sites entirely in ASP and use a database for data
storage, works great for me. I also sometimes save information to a text
file on my server like c:\invoices\customername.txt for batch processing
later... I use the FSO commands and it all works slick.

Now, I have a new project: A client wants us to log in to their website on
another server, and program some pages for them. Very simple stuff, mostly
created with FrontPage, I added a couple of ASP pages and they work fine...
but I have one thing I cannot get to work:

They want the results of a form saved into a text file that they will FTP
later. They created the form in FrontPage as follows:

<form method="POST" action="_derived/nortbots.htm"
onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;"
webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--"
WEBBOT-onSubmit="location.href='_derived/nortbots.htm';return false;">
<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" S-Label-Fields="TRUE"
U-File="_private/kform_results.txt" S-Format="TEXT/CSV" startspan --><input
TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults"
endspan i-checksum="43374" --><p><input type="text" name="T1"
size="20"><input type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"><input type="reset"
value="Reset" name="B2"></p>
</form>

This saves the results of the form in a text file in their server. I want to
do this, but can't get the above form to work from an ASP page, it looks
like it only accepts it from a page with an HTM extension. Normally I would
use the FSO command and write the data to a specific location on the server,
but its not my server so I have no control over where to write it.

So... my simple question is: How can I get the results of a form on an ASP
page to dump into a text file that the client can just FTP later from their
site? or.... even into another HTM page on the same site? They could just
read it there....

I am using Visual Studio 6, writing the pages in Visual InterDev.

Thanks!

Bullschmidt

This might give you some ideas:

Puzzle 5 Not much different from other solutions by Manohar Kamath
posted 1/12/99
http://www.asp101.com/puzzles/puzzle5_s7.asp

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com