Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to aviod putting url-information in history-list.

How to aviod putting url-information in history-list.

Per-Olof Nilsson

Hi

We have two applications for one system. The first application is a vb-app
and the second is a web-app.

From the vb-app users have the possibility to enter right into the web-app.
The vb-app is creating an appropriate url and opens the web-browser with
this. The url contains user-information like user name and password. We
don't want this url-information to be stored in the history-list, because
then advanced users can find passwords etc here and that's not so good.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Regards
Per-Olof Nilsson

Steven Burn

Why aren't you encoding the username/password?

Take a look at URLEncode
http://www.sloppycode.net/asp/?m=39

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Per-Olof Nilsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> We have two applications for one system. The first application is a vb-app
> and the second is a web-app.
>
> From the vb-app users have the possibility to enter right into the

web-app.
> The vb-app is creating an appropriate url and opens the web-browser with
> this. The url contains user-information like user name and password. We
> don't want this url-information to be stored in the history-list, because
> then advanced users can find passwords etc here and that's not so good.
>
> Anyone know how to solve this?
>
> Regards
> Per-Olof Nilsson

Steven Burn

Better source
http://www.w3schools.com/asp/met_urlencode.asp

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Per-Olof Nilsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> We have two applications for one system. The first application is a vb-app
> and the second is a web-app.
>
> From the vb-app users have the possibility to enter right into the

web-app.
> The vb-app is creating an appropriate url and opens the web-browser with
> this. The url contains user-information like user name and password. We
> don't want this url-information to be stored in the history-list, because
> then advanced users can find passwords etc here and that's not so good.
>
> Anyone know how to solve this?
>
> Regards
> Per-Olof Nilsson

PL

> Anyone know how to solve this?

You don't send username and passwords in the querystring,
if you absolutely have to then you should make it an md5 hash
with a timestamp that expires.

PL.