Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > <FRAMESET> (HTML question)

<FRAMESET> (HTML question)

Jan Plastenjak

This question is about html. I have this:

<frameset rows="90%,10%" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"
cols="1">
<frame name="topFrame" noresize src="c:\bpp.xml">
<frame name="bottom" scrolling="NO" noresize src="c:\btn.htm">
</frameset>

Is there a way to assign html code to frames "in code", not to have to
specify src property? Something like:

<frameset rows="90%,10%" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"
cols="1">
</frameset>

Thank you.

CJM

"Jan Plastenjak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there a way to assign html code to frames "in code", not to have to
> specify src property?

No

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.2.2

Notice it says that the Frame element is 'empty'. This means it doesnt have
a closing tag and can contain anything.

The src attribute is the method by which you must specify the starting HTML
for your frame.

I'm not sure why you are trying to do this, but I suspect there are better
ways. Why dont you tell us what your overall objective is.

And finally, no post about frames is complete without...
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?FramesAreEvil

hth

Chris

Jan Plastenjak

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to show in one page XML and HTML.
XML have XSL transformation and it produces HTML. I'll try to attach source
with this post. I couldn't find other way to display XML and HTML in one
page, except, to use frames.

Mark Schupp

This would be best asked in an HTML group.

I have seen a frameset that did this by calling a JavaScript variable for
the "SRC" attribute of the target frame as in:

<frame name="content" src="javascriptarent.emptyFrame">

where emptyFrame was defined earlier as:

I personally would not do this for fear of browser-specific problems. I
usually load a blank page into the target frameset and then use JavaScript
to rewrite the page after it loads.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development