Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > HTTP error 404 when calling ASP page.

Reply
Thread Tools

HTTP error 404 when calling ASP page.

 
 
Brian Rupert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2004
I have 2 sites on my Windows Server 2003/ISA/IIS machine.
One of the sites works fine and has 'default.htm' for the
default document. The other site returns an 'HTTP error
404' and has a 'default.asp' for the default document.
Aside from that they appear to be configured the same.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron Bertrand [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2004
Turn off 'show friendly http errors' in Tools / Internet Options / Advanced.
Or, view the page in Netscape / Firebird / Mozilla / Opera.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/




"Brian Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6ee01c3ee94$8016e360$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 2 sites on my Windows Server 2003/ISA/IIS machine.
> One of the sites works fine and has 'default.htm' for the
> default document. The other site returns an 'HTTP error
> 404' and has a 'default.asp' for the default document.
> Aside from that they appear to be configured the same.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian Rupert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
Aaron,
Thanks for your reply, however, I tried your suggestion
with no success.
More specifically, the error reads "File or directory not
found". However, I can clearly browse to it from Windows
Explorer.

Brian



>-----Original Message-----
>Turn off 'show friendly http errors' in Tools / Internet

Options / Advanced.
>Or, view the page in Netscape / Firebird / Mozilla /

Opera.
>
>--
>Aaron Bertrand
>SQL Server MVP
>http://www.aspfaq.com/
>
>
>
>
>"Brian Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)>

wrote in message
>news:c6ee01c3ee94$8016e360$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have 2 sites on my Windows Server 2003/ISA/IIS

machine.
>> One of the sites works fine and has 'default.htm' for

the
>> default document. The other site returns an 'HTTP error
>> 404' and has a 'default.asp' for the default document.
>> Aside from that they appear to be configured the same.
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron Bertrand [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
> Thanks for your reply, however, I tried your suggestion
> with no success.
> More specifically, the error reads "File or directory not
> found". However, I can clearly browse to it from Windows
> Explorer.


Oh, ok. Are you typing "C:\path\file.asp" into your browser? Don't do
that! http://localhost/file.asp

If that's not the issue, you're going to have to provide more information
(unless you want random guesses).

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray at
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
Do you have ASP enabled? I know that in IIS 6, you have to enable something
before any ASP pages will execute. As I have yet to experience IIS 6, I
cannot comment on where this setting is or what it may be called. But, this
comes up pretty often in m.p.inetserver.iis, I believe, so you may find a
PAQ in there with the answer.

--

Ray at home
Microsoft ASP MVP


"Brian Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0ee01c3eea7$7bbf0050$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aaron,
> Thanks for your reply, however, I tried your suggestion
> with no success.
> More specifically, the error reads "File or directory not
> found". However, I can clearly browse to it from Windows
> Explorer.
>
> Brian
>
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Turn off 'show friendly http errors' in Tools / Internet

> Options / Advanced.
> >Or, view the page in Netscape / Firebird / Mozilla /

> Opera.
> >
> >--
> >Aaron Bertrand
> >SQL Server MVP
> >http://www.aspfaq.com/
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >"Brian Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote in message
> >news:c6ee01c3ee94$8016e360$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have 2 sites on my Windows Server 2003/ISA/IIS

> machine.
> >> One of the sites works fine and has 'default.htm' for

> the
> >> default document. The other site returns an 'HTTP error
> >> 404' and has a 'default.asp' for the default document.
> >> Aside from that they appear to be configured the same.
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Brian

> >
> >
> >.
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
regarding error "Http error-404 object not found" ashluvcadbury@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 04-16-2007 04:44 AM
Intercept IIS 404 errors? Issue with Viewstate and 404 Jonathan Folland ASP .Net 2 03-17-2005 02:32 AM
IE produces 404 Error when calling ASP page, but only on some machines... Andreas.Bretl ASP General 0 05-18-2004 01:55 PM
HTTP 404 Error for ASP.NET pages Matthew Louden ASP .Net 2 12-04-2003 10:28 PM
HTTP 404 Error for ASP.NET pages in Windows Server 2003 Matthew Louden ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 01:35 AM



Advertisments