Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP include/strip body tag?

ASP include/strip body tag?

charlie

We have an unusual situation at the USC School of Medicine; we have to
covert every Web page to a template. The template is too wide to print and a
lot of our students print lectures, notes, etc. We thought we could keep to
the template and draw in the content from other files by using includes. BUT
these files are HTML files and therefore, have Body commands in them. If
this could work, we could put a printable link back to the other page and it
would print. Seems like a great solution except for the extra body commands.
We are using ASP for our scripting.
1. How much of a boondoggle will it be if the files have two body commands
in them. How many browsers would it break?
2. Is there a scripting way around this without creating some objects?
3. Is there something out there -- shareware or commercial -- that would fix
this problem.
4. Could something be done about this using pearl, for example?
We'd really like to do it this way because we can have the users create the
content, use the same file names all the time, thus overwriting the old
file, and the user would never get a chance to screw up the template.
Any ideas appreciated.
thanks
charlie

Tim Williams

If the template is too wide to print, why on earth is it being used?
Seems to make no sense at all.
What is the reason for the conversion? Is the conversion just a
one-off process or are you looking at dynamically combining the pages
every time they're accessed?

1. I would not recommend just lumping the files together without
taking care of the extra body tags.
2. What's wrong with creating objects?
3. No idea but I suspect you may have to roll your own solution here
4. You could use perl (in ASP even...) or another scripting language
like js or vbscript. Seems however your main problem is selecting an
approach rather than a language.

Tim.

news:OEdY$(E-Mail Removed)...