Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How come my web server returns the clients ip as my isa proxy servers ip?

How come my web server returns the clients ip as my isa proxy servers ip?

James

how come when my web server asp page returns the users ip address it returns
my local isa proxy servers ip address instead? for example:
<HTML>
<%Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")%>
</HTML>

i have multiple web servers behind my isa server. that route the user by the
sub domain i.e. http://subdomain.mydomain.com http://myother.mydomain.com
i only have 1 external static ip address to use. i use isa's web publishing
rules for this.

how can i get the web users ip address in my page?

Ray at

Because the requests are coming from your ISA server, in a sense. Just
like, my computer's IP is 192.168.0.125, but if I go to your site, you'll
see it as 38.38.39.92 or whatever the Internet IP of my router is. Unless
ISA server has some functionality in which it can pass the IP along with the
HTTP request to your server, there isn't a way for your server to see the
actual IP address of the client machine.

--

Ray at home
Microsoft ASP MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how come when my web server asp page returns the users ip address it

returns
> my local isa proxy servers ip address instead? for example:
> <HTML>
> <%Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")%>
> </HTML>
>
> i have multiple web servers behind my isa server. that route the user by

the
> sub domain i.e. http://subdomain.mydomain.com http://myother.mydomain.com
> i only have 1 external static ip address to use. i use isa's web

publishing
> rules for this.
>
> how can i get the web users ip address in my page?
>

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)

James

do you know of a way to configure my isa server that way?

"Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]" <myFirstNameATlane34dotKOMM> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Because the requests are coming from your ISA server, in a sense. Just
> like, my computer's IP is 192.168.0.125, but if I go to your site, you'll
> see it as 38.38.39.92 or whatever the Internet IP of my router is. Unless
> ISA server has some functionality in which it can pass the IP along with

the
> HTTP request to your server, there isn't a way for your server to see the
> actual IP address of the client machine.
>
> --
>
> Ray at home
> Microsoft ASP MVP
>

> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > how come when my web server asp page returns the users ip address it

> returns
> > my local isa proxy servers ip address instead? for example:
> > <HTML>
> > <%Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")%>
> > </HTML>
> >
> > i have multiple web servers behind my isa server. that route the user by

> the
> > sub domain i.e. http://subdomain.mydomain.com

http://myother.mydomain.com
> > i only have 1 external static ip address to use. i use isa's web

> publishing
> > rules for this.
> >
> > how can i get the web users ip address in my page?
> >

> > --
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Ray at

See an ISA group. There are a number of them. microsoft.public.isa[.*]

--

Ray at home
Microsoft ASP MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...