Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Visual interdev creating web site

Visual interdev creating web site

WizyDig

How do you create a project in Visual Inter Dev that is part of a web
site other than the default web site. We create the site in IIS but
Visual Inter Dev does see the new site. In the end I want my Url to be
something like
http://131.1.1.1/default.asp. We have not been able to get Visual Inter
Dev to let us create such a site.

Wiz

Bob Barrows

WizyDig wrote:
> How do you create a project in Visual Inter Dev that is part of a web
> site other than the default web site. We create the site in IIS but
> Visual Inter Dev does see the new site. In the end I want my Url to
> be something like
> http://131.1.1.1/default.asp. We have not been able to get Visual
> Inter Dev to let us create such a site.

This would have been more on-topic in one of the interdev groups, probably
m.p.vi.general, but:

Create a new project. In the wizard give the project a name. On the next
screen, tell it the name of the web server to which you want it to connect
(it does not let me specify an IP address - it only allows me to enter a
name). On the next screen, tell it to connect to an existing web
application, and select <root web> from the drop down. That's it.

followps set to .vi.general

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"WizyDig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you create a project in Visual Inter Dev that is part of a web
> site other than the default web site. We create the site in IIS but
> Visual Inter Dev does see the new site. In the end I want my Url to be
> something like
> http://131.1.1.1/default.asp. We have not been able to get Visual Inter
> Dev to let us create such a site.

You simply point it at the URL of the other web site. Have you installed
the FrontPage Server Extensions on the other site?

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

WizyDig

we tried this and got
http://localhost/myproject/default.asp
we're looking for
http://localhost/default.asp

Wiz

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"WizyDig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> we tried this and got
> http://localhost/myproject/default.asp
> we're looking for
> http://localhost/default.asp

If you want to use the root of the site, you need to create a new project
but on Step 2 of the Web Project Wizard, you need to select "Connect to an
existing Web application on yourserver" and make sure that "<Root Web>" is
selected under the "Name" drop down list.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

WizyDig

That works on the remote server which is a Win 2003 box but one of my
guys can't get it to work on his dev workstation he's running win 2k
server looking for localhost on a differant port. Is there something in
Localhost that would prevent you from hooking in on another port. The
site is set up on that port.

-Very strange

Wiz

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"WizyDig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That works on the remote server which is a Win 2003 box but one of my
> guys can't get it to work on his dev workstation he's running win 2k
> server looking for localhost on a differant port. Is there something in
> Localhost that would prevent you from hooking in on another port. The
> site is set up on that port.

If a different post is being used then you need to explicitly include it,
such as http://localhost:90.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

WizyDig

Yep were doing that. But for some stange reason the localhost version
is causing some deficulty. for example

someotherserver:8081
works
but
localhost:8081
does not on this particular box.

It must be the way we have the web site set up in IIS on the local dev
box. I'm going to look more into to that. I don't think it's actually
a Visual interdev problem.

Thanks for all the input.
Wiz