Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP Sessions not working live

ASP Sessions not working live

Guy Hocking

Hi there,

I am having trouble with an ASP login that uses sessions to control access
to certain pages. However the sessions are not being carried accross upon
using response.redirect.
I realise that this is the case that DNS names and IP addresses vary upon
whether it works or not, however how can i get around using sessions live on
the internet? and make them work>?

Hope you guys can help

Ta

--
Guy

www.bradflack.com

Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
email address before sending me an email.

Ray at

Are you response.redirecting to a different domain? What does your redirect
look like?

Ray at work

"Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> I am having trouble with an ASP login that uses sessions to control access
> to certain pages. However the sessions are not being carried accross upon
> using response.redirect.
> I realise that this is the case that DNS names and IP addresses vary upon
> whether it works or not, however how can i get around using sessions live

on
> the internet? and make them work>?
>
> Hope you guys can help
>
> Ta
>
> --
> Guy
>
> www.bradflack.com
>
> Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> email address before sending me an email.

Guy Hocking

****
If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
Dim struserLevel, strUName
struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)
Session("UName") = strUName
Response.Redirect("admin3/admin.asp")
****

Not to a different domain at all, in a sub folder of the same website, But
the redirect works, its the session that doesnt get carries accross

--
Guy
www.bradflack.com

Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
email address before sending me an email.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you response.redirecting to a different domain? What does your

redirect
> look like?
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am having trouble with an ASP login that uses sessions to control

access
> > to certain pages. However the sessions are not being carried accross

upon
> > using response.redirect.
> > I realise that this is the case that DNS names and IP addresses vary

upon
> > whether it works or not, however how can i get around using sessions

live
> on
> > the internet? and make them work>?
> >
> > Hope you guys can help
> >
> > Ta
> >
> > --
> > Guy
> >
> > www.bradflack.com
> >
> > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > email address before sending me an email.

Ray at

If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the session
info will not carry to it. That's my guess as to why session data isn't
carrying, assuming that's what's happening.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157 for other causes.

Ray at work

"Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ****
> If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
> Dim struserLevel, strUName
> struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
> strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
> Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)
> Session("UName") = strUName
> Response.Redirect("admin3/admin.asp")
> ****
>
> Not to a different domain at all, in a sub folder of the same website, But
> the redirect works, its the session that doesnt get carries accross
>

> --
> Guy
> www.bradflack.com
>
> Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> email address before sending me an email.
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Are you response.redirecting to a different domain? What does your

> redirect
> > look like?
> >
> > Ray at work
> >
> > "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I am having trouble with an ASP login that uses sessions to control

> access
> > > to certain pages. However the sessions are not being carried accross

> upon
> > > using response.redirect.
> > > I realise that this is the case that DNS names and IP addresses vary

> upon
> > > whether it works or not, however how can i get around using sessions

> live
> > on
> > > the internet? and make them work>?
> > >
> > > Hope you guys can help
> > >
> > > Ta
> > >
> > > --
> > > Guy
> > >
> > > www.bradflack.com
> > >
> > > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > > email address before sending me an email.

Guy Hocking

mmm, it works on my local test server no problem, very strange, dont think
its any of the things listed...

any ideas what i can do about it?

--
Guy

www.bradflack.com

Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
email address before sending me an email.
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the

session
> info will not carry to it. That's my guess as to why session data isn't
> carrying, assuming that's what's happening.
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157 for other causes.
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ****
> > If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
> > Dim struserLevel, strUName
> > struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
> > strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
> > Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)
> > Session("UName") = strUName
> > Response.Redirect("admin3/admin.asp")
> > ****
> >
> > Not to a different domain at all, in a sub folder of the same website,

But
> > the redirect works, its the session that doesnt get carries accross
> >

> > --
> > Guy
> > www.bradflack.com
> >
> > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > email address before sending me an email.
> > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Are you response.redirecting to a different domain? What does your

> > redirect
> > > look like?
> > >
> > > Ray at work
> > >
> > > "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > access

> > upon

> > upon

> > live
> > > on

Ray at

> > If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the
> session
> > info will not carry to it.

Did you check that?

Ray at work

"Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mmm, it works on my local test server no problem, very strange, dont think
> its any of the things listed...
>
> any ideas what i can do about it?
>
> --
> Guy
>
> www.bradflack.com
>
> Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> email address before sending me an email.
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the

> session
> > info will not carry to it. That's my guess as to why session data isn't
> > carrying, assuming that's what's happening.
> >
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157 for other causes.
> >
> > Ray at work
> >
> > "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > ****
> > > If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
> > > Dim struserLevel, strUName
> > > struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
> > > strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
> > > Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)
> > > Session("UName") = strUName
> > > Response.Redirect("admin3/admin.asp")
> > > ****
> > >
> > > Not to a different domain at all, in a sub folder of the same website,

> But
> > > the redirect works, its the session that doesnt get carries accross
> > >

> > > --
> > > Guy
> > > www.bradflack.com
> > >
> > > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > > email address before sending me an email.
> > > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in

message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > redirect

control
> > > access

accross
> > > upon

vary
> > > upon

sessions
> > > live

Guy Hocking

im not quite sure what you mean, the page is the application, outside the
directory, and it redirects to a page inside another directory on the same
site

--
Guy

www.bradflack.com

Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
email address before sending me an email.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the

> > session
> > > info will not carry to it.

> Did you check that?
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > mmm, it works on my local test server no problem, very strange, dont

think
> > its any of the things listed...
> >
> > any ideas what i can do about it?
> >
> > --
> > Guy
> >
> > www.bradflack.com
> >
> > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > email address before sending me an email.
> > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > If you have the directory defined as its own application in IIS, the

> > session
> > > info will not carry to it. That's my guess as to why session data

isn't
> > > carrying, assuming that's what's happening.
> > >
> > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157 for other causes.
> > >
> > > Ray at work
> > >
> > > "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

website,
> > But

> message

your

> control

> accross

> vary

> sessions

Ray at

Open your IIS manager on the live server.
Go to the site in question.
Right click on this "admin3" directory.
Click Properties

On the directory tab, at the bottom, is an "Application Settings" area.
There is a textbox with a label of "Application Name" to the left. To the
right of that textbox is a command button. That button will either say
Create or Remove. If it says Remove, that means that admin3 is its own
application (with its own sessions, global.asa, etc.).

Ray at work

"Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> im not quite sure what you mean, the page is the application, outside the
> directory, and it redirects to a page inside another directory on the same
> site
>
> --
> Guy
>
> www.bradflack.com
>
> Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> email address before sending me an email.
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > session

> > Did you check that?
> >
> > Ray at work
> >
> > "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > mmm, it works on my local test server no problem, very strange, dont

> think
> > > its any of the things listed...
> > >
> > > any ideas what i can do about it?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Guy
> > >
> > > www.bradflack.com
> > >
> > > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > > email address before sending me an email.
> > > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in

message
> > > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > session

> isn't

> website,
> > > But

accross

> > message

> your

> > control

> > accross

addresses
> > vary

> > sessions

Guy Hocking

i dont have access to the live IIS server, as its hosted with another
company, but i have now put the page within the same directory as the page
with the response.redirect, still doesnt work ;-(

--
Guy
www.bradflack.com

Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
email address before sending me an email.
news:emi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open your IIS manager on the live server.
> Go to the site in question.
> Right click on this "admin3" directory.
> Click Properties
>
> On the directory tab, at the bottom, is an "Application Settings" area.
> There is a textbox with a label of "Application Name" to the left. To the
> right of that textbox is a command button. That button will either say
> Create or Remove. If it says Remove, that means that admin3 is its own
> application (with its own sessions, global.asa, etc.).
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > im not quite sure what you mean, the page is the application, outside

the
> > directory, and it redirects to a page inside another directory on the

same
> > site
> >
> > --
> > Guy
> >
> > www.bradflack.com
> >
> > Please remove ANTI and SPAM from my
> > email address before sending me an email.
> > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the

> > > Did you check that?
> > >
> > > Ray at work
> > >
> > > "Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > think

> message

the

> > isn't

> > website,

> accross

> > > message

> > your

> > > control
> > > accross

> addresses
> > > vary
> > > sessions

Ray at

"Guy Hocking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ec9z$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i dont have access to the live IIS server, as its hosted with another
> company, but i have now put the page within the same directory as the page
> with the response.redirect, still doesnt work ;-(

Okay, we'll start over then. How do you know it doesn't work? What does
this do:

<%
If Not RecordSet.EOF Then
Dim struserLevel, strUName
struserLevel = RecordSet.Fields("UserLevel")
strUName = RecordSet.Fields("UName")
Session("UserLevel") = cint(struserLevel)

RESPONSE.WRITE STRUSERLEVEL
RESPONSE.WRITE "<BR>"
RESPONSE.WRITE Session("UserLevel")
RESPONSE.END