Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Setting up Development PC

Setting up Development PC

Tom

I'm a VB/SQL programmer, but not familiar with WEB programming or the Microsoft products for this. I'm trying to set up a development workstation to create and test .asp files running server side VBScripting. My PC has Win2k Pro and Visual Studio Enterprise Ed. Does anyone know what other software I need to install in order to have a development Web Server?

Thanks.

Ray at

It's a pretty simple process, actually.

Add/remove programs----Add/remove Windows components
Select Internet Information Services. By default, I think that SMTP is not
installed on W2K Pro, so go into the details and check that option or verify
that it is checked.
Click the necessary OKs and let W2K install IIS. If you do not have your
I386 directory copied to your local drive and your setup path updated to
that location, I believe you will be prompted for your W2K CD.

After all this is finished, you will see a new directory in the root of your
%systemdrive% called Inetpub. In Inetpub is wwwroot. In that directory is
where you put your .asp files. Then, to load them, you enter
http://localhost/yourfile.asp in your browser.

www.textpad.com

Ray at work

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a VB/SQL programmer, but not familiar with WEB programming or the

Microsoft products for this. I'm trying to set up a development workstation
to create and test .asp files running server side VBScripting. My PC has
Win2k Pro and Visual Studio Enterprise Ed. Does anyone know what other
software I need to install in order to have a development Web Server?

> Thanks.

Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:26:09 -0800, Tom
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm a VB/SQL programmer, but not familiar with WEB programming or the Microsoft products for this. I'm trying to set up a development workstation to create and test .asp files running server side VBScripting. My PC has Win2k Pro and Visual Studio Enterprise Ed. Does anyone know what other software I need to install in order to have a development Web Server?

IIS. Included on your W2K CD. You'll likely want to look at the .NET
framework and ASP.NET, though that's a different set of newsgroups.

Personally, I'd never develop on a single system for web applications.
A server separate from a workstation would be a requirement to me, and
the ability to use other software on the server, such as SQL,
SMTP/POP, FTP and so on is pretty handy.

Jeff