Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > [alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 7 (last modified 2003-05-18).

[alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 7 (last modified 2003-05-18).

Jeandré

[alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 7 (last modified 2003-05-1.

Posted on Sundays, and available on the web at
<http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html>.
Post suggestions on alt.fan.mozilla (afm) or email them to
<(E-Mail Removed)5.org.uk>.

0. Is there a spell-checker for Mozilla?
1. Can I kill popups?
2. How can I use different email and/or news clients?
3. Where are my bookmarks, settings, and email messages?
4. How can I import my IE bookmarks?
5. I found a bug, now what?
6. How do I make changes in my user.js file?
7. Where can I get help if this FAQ doesn't answer my questions?
8. What are the best Mozilla links?
9. Other good Internet suites?
10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
11. How has this FAQ changed? (at
<http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html> only)

0. Is there a spell-checker for Mozilla?
Yes, see <http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/>.

1. Can I kill popups?
Yes: Edit | Preferences | Privacy & security | Popup windows.

2. How can I use different email and/or news clients?
If you have 1.3b or newer: enter <about:config> in the address bar
(without the < and > signs), go to network.protocol-handler.external.,
right click on the setting you want to change (mailto or news), select
Modify, and replace "false" with "true". This will launch your default
email and/or news client when you click on email or newsgroup links.
(Anyone know how to launch default ftp clients?)
If you are using a version of Mozilla older than 1.3b: you can either
install <http://preferential.mozdev.org/> and edit the options
mentioned above from Edit | Advanced preferences..., or edit your
user.js file and add
"user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);" and/or
"user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.news", true);" to it.

3. Where are my bookmarks, settings, and email messages?
See <http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.3/#profileloc>.

4. How can I import my IE bookmarks?
If they are not automatically available under Bookmarks | Imported IE
favorites; export your IE favorites from File | Import-export, and in
Mozilla use Bookmarks | Manage bookmarks | Tools | Import to import
the file you just exported from IE.

5. I found a bug, now what?
You can ask an experienced Mozillian to report it for you, or jump in
and get your fingers dirty: get the latest nightly
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/> (warning:
nightlies are usually unstable and can cause dataloss) to see if the
bug's already been fixed. If the bug hasn't yet been fixed, search
bugzilla <http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/query.cgi?format=modern>. If you
can't find it, check the most frequently reported bugs list
<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/duplicates.html> and most recently
duplicated bugs
<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/duplicates.cgi?sortby=bug_no>. If you
still can't find it but think others must have reported it already,
search Usenet <http://groups.google.com/>, ask in the MozillaZine IRC
room <irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, and ask here in afm. If it really is
new, read the Mozilla bug writing etiquette
<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html> and
guidelines
<http://www.mozilla.org/quality/bug-writing-guidelines.html>. Also
read how to report bugs effectively at
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html> (not Mozilla
specific).

6. How do I make changes in my user.js file?
Your user.js file can be used to set preferences which Mozilla can't
overwrite. See <http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.0/#profiles>
to find out where it's default location is. You can create (or if it
already exists, edit) it in a text editor. Be sure to keep the
settings in alphabetical order. If you are using a version of Mozilla
which is older than 1.3b, you can use your user.js file to change
settings which can not be changed in the ui. You can also install
<http://preferential.mozdev.org/> and modify all preferences from Edit
| Advanced preferences.... If you are using Mozilla 1.3b or newer, you
can enter <about:config> in the address bar (without the < and >
signs) and modify settings.

7. Where can I get help if this FAQ doesn't answer my questions?
Search Mozilla's help database, the end user faq
<http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/enduser.html>, old Usenet posts
<http://groups.google.com/>, and the web with your favorite search
engine; and ask in the MozillaZine IRC room
<irc://moznet/#mozillazine>. If you still can't find an answer, post a
question in afm and make sure you use a descriptive subject in your
post. "MOZIla WTF!!!1" is useless, an example of a better subject
would be "How do I get rid of underlined links?" (btw, the answer is
at
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E16E2D8.30300%40m4x.org&output=gplain >).
See also esr's essay on how to ask questions the smart way, at
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> (not a help desk
for Mozilla, general essay) — while focussed more on asking questins
of hackers, and not users like the afm population, it still has use
useful information for afm.

8. What are the best Mozilla links?
<http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/Browsers/Mozilla/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/faq.html>
<http://www.mozilla.org/get-involved.html>
<http://www.ufaq.org/>

9. Other good Internet suites?
Beonex communicator http://www.beonex.com/communicator/>.

10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
Jeandré, Keith Bowes, Pascal Chevrel, the friendly Mozillians on
<irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, zebra.
--
/`\ Jeandré
\ / <(E-Mail Removed)5.org.uk> <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html>

Jeandré

[alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 8 (last modified 2003-05-29).

Posted on Sundays, and available on the web at
<http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.en.html>.

<http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.en.html> only)

> [...]

Search Mozilla's help database, the end user faq
<http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/enduser.html>, old Usenet posts
<http://groups.google.com/>, and the web with your favorite search
engine; and ask in the MozillaZine IRC room
<irc://moznet/#mozillazine>. If you still can't find an answer, post a
question in afm and make sure you use a descriptive subject in your
post. "MOZIla WTF!!!1" is useless, an example of a better subject
would be "How do I get rid of underlined links?" (btw, the answer is
at <
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E16E2D8.30300%40m4x.org&output=gplain >).
See also esr's essay on how to ask questions the smart way, at
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> (not a help desk
for Mozilla, general essay) — while focussed more on asking questins
of hackers, and not users like the afm population, it still has useful
information for afm.

8. What are the best Mozilla links?
<http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/Browsers/Mozilla/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/faq.html>
<http://www.mozilla.org/get-involved.html>
<http://www.ufaq.org/>

9. Other good Internet suites?
Beonex communicator <http://www.beonex.com/communicator/>.

10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
Jeandré, Keith Bowes, Pascal Chevrel, the friendly Mozillians on
<irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, zebra, and others.
--
> [...]

information for afm.

8. What are the best Mozilla links?
<http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/WWW/Browsers/Mozilla/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/faq.html>
<http://www.mozilla.org/get-involved.html>
<http://www.ufaq.org/>

9. Other good Internet suites?
Beonex communicator <http://www.beonex.com/communicator/>.

10. Who contributed to this FAQ?
Jeandré, Keith Bowes, Pascal Chevrel, the friendly Mozillians on
<irc://moznet/#mozillazine>, zebra, and others.
--
/`\ Jeandré
\ / <(E-Mail Removed)5.org.uk> <http://jack.p5.org.uk/mozilla/faq.html>
X Renaming Firebird (the RDBMS) to Mozilla would also be wrong.
/ \ Text ribbon campaign for plain text e-mail and Usenet posts.

[alt.fan.mozilla] FAQ 9 (last modified 2003-07-16).

Posted on Sundays, and available on the web at
<http://jack.p5.org.uk/software/mozilla/faq.en.html>.

<http://jack.p5.org.uk/software/mozilla/faq.en.html> only)