Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > absolutely weird refresh delay problem

absolutely weird refresh delay problem

Wolfgang Kaml

Hello All,

I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP or
ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert some
data in a MS Access database on that Windows 2003 server.
The weird part is, as long as the web page is very short in size, I can hit
the refresh button and Internet Explorer will reload the page and display
the content instantaneously. However, if the web page is just a little bit
bigger, it will take about 10 seconds before the content will be displayed.
Also, once the larger web page has been displayed, the small page will have
the delay problem as well. After I kill the w3wp.exe process, the short page
will refresh immediately, until the larger page has been opened at least
once. That just doesn't make any sense to me and have researched some
knowledge base articles and not found anything, that would solve the issue.
Adding 'DisableLazyContentPropagation' to the registry did not resolve the
problem.

Here is the CounterPage.aspx website's contents (just for testing purpose):
Inherits="Counter.CounterPage"%>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>Counter Test Page</title>
name="vs_targetSchema">
</HEAD>
alink="#FFFFFF">
<form id="CounterForm" method="post" runat="server">
<center>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A><br>
<A HREF="http://www.msn.com">Hallo!</A>
</center>
<P><FONT face="Verdana" size="2">That counter is:
<asp:label id="LblCounter"
runat="server">62</asp:label></FONT></P>
</form>
</HTML>
------------------

Here is the absolutely weird part: If I delete all the <A HREF=....> lines
but 2 or 3, the web site will load right aways.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Wolfgang

MSFT

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup. I am Luke and I am review this issue
currently. As I understand, you currently working with IIS 6.0. If a ASPX
or ASP file is small, it will work correctly; If it is a little bigger, the
response will delay about 10 seconds.

What about a HTML file? If it also work incorrectly, the problem should be
with your IIS. You may create a new virtual folder and copy the file in it
to test. You may check if you have changed any default configaration on the
IIS, for example, adding some ISAPI fileter or extension.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your ideas. I have tried all of that before, except checking
the ISAPI filters. Now I have removed the only one ISAPI filter (I think it
said asp net 1.1.4322 something) and all I get is a big fat "Service
Unavailable" message, no error, no nothing, just "Service Unavailable" in
big fat letters.

Can you please tell me how to get the filter back? What file and how to set
the correct priority?

I have tried a simple HTML and that is fine. No matter what size. And yes,
you are right. As long as the aspx file is very small, I get the refresh in
a split of a second. The database is queried, a new entry made, etc. I can
hit the refresh button as often as I want and the new values will show
immediately. As soon as I add a few very simple html lines, it delays for
about 10 seconds, no error message, no nothing. Just sitting there, thinking
for a while, and then doing the same thing. I am absolutely puzzeled. And
yes, different directory, same result.

Thank you for your support,
Wolfgang

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup. I am Luke and I am review this issue
> currently. As I understand, you currently working with IIS 6.0. If a ASPX
> or ASP file is small, it will work correctly; If it is a little bigger,

the
> response will delay about 10 seconds.
>
> What about a HTML file? If it also work incorrectly, the problem should be
> with your IIS. You may create a new virtual folder and copy the file in it
> to test. You may check if you have changed any default configaration on

the
> IIS, for example, adding some ISAPI fileter or extension.
>
> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

Roland Hall

"Wolfgang Kaml" wrote:
: I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
: found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP
or
: ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert some

ASP or ASPX?

This is classic ASP, not .NET. If your issue is related to .aspx, then
perhaps a .NET NG would get a quicker solution. However, if it does this
will all pages, as Luke eluded to, then the inetserver NG might be a better
place to pose this question?!

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.
-Technet Knowledge Base-
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&ln=EN-US&FR=0
-Technet Script Center-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...er/default.asp
-WSH 5.6 documentation download-
-MSDN Library-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

Wolfgang Kaml

The problem occurs on both, ASP and ASPX, but not HTML. So, I don't think
that the IIS NG would be happy with that question, do you?

Wolfgang

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Wolfgang Kaml" wrote:
> : I have been researching newsgroups and knowledgebase all morning and not
> : found a solution that would solve the problem I have. I am having an ASP
> or
> : ASPX web page that implement a counter functionality and read/insert

some

> ASP or ASPX?
>
> This is classic ASP, not .NET. If your issue is related to .aspx, then
> perhaps a .NET NG would get a quicker solution. However, if it does this
> will all pages, as Luke eluded to, then the inetserver NG might be a

better
> place to pose this question?!
>
> --
> Roland
>
> This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> or fitness for a particular purpose.
> -Technet Knowledge Base-

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&ln=EN-US&FR=0
> -Technet Script Center-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...er/default.asp
> -WSH 5.6 documentation download-

> -MSDN Library-
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

MSFT

Hi Wolfgang,

Let's re-register the ASP.NET first (The ISAPI filter is a required one for
ASP.NET). You can follow the steps in this article:

HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q306005

And then, test again.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Hi Luke,

I just tried that and it leads to the same result. If I open the "ISAPI
Filters" tab of the "Web Sites Properties" at the web server, the Status of
the ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 filter shows as "Unknown" and the priority as "*
Unknown *". I know that before removing that filter that the priority showed
"* Low *". I don't remember what the Status said before. Anyways, checking
the filters was an idea, I guess I should have known that this filter was
needed.

So now what, any ideas? Deinstall and Reinstall the entire Server. I hope
not!

Thanks,
Wolfgang

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YH1F%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Let's re-register the ASP.NET first (The ISAPI filter is a required one

for
> ASP.NET). You can follow the steps in this article:
>
> HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q306005
>
> And then, test again.
>
> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

MSFT

Hi Wolfgang,

In IIS Manager, you can select "Application Pools", is the
"DefaultAppPool" running? Have you try a reboot on the server?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Wolfgang Kaml

Yes, the "DefaultAppPool" is running and yes, I have tried a reboot before.
Well, the good news is, that the ASP.NET_1.1.4322.573 filter recovered
itself somehow overnight. Maybe I should have given it several minutes after
reboot to check on the status. Anyways, it shows as "Loaded" now, and the
priority is back to "Low" where it was before.

Now, the only thing is, that the ASP.NET ISAPI filter is set on the property
page for the "Web Sites" only. The "Default Web Site"'s ISAPI property page
now shows a new filter, that I haven't seen before: "fpexedll.dll". Is that
the way it should be?

Anyways, now that I am back to square one, I am still trying to figure out
that weird refresh problem that only happens on ASP and ASPX pages, not
HTML. And why would it make a difference when adding a few most simple HTML
lines to the ASPX page only? I don't get it.

Thanks for your help!
Wolfgang

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> In IIS Manager, you can select "Application Pools", is the
> "DefaultAppPool" running? Have you try a reboot on the server?
>
> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

MSFT

Hi wolfgang,

The filter setting is OK now. Regard the original problem, if you create a
new asp.net application, will the problem also occur?