Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Calling DLL from Active Server COmponent loses security profile

Calling DLL from Active Server COmponent loses security profile

Jason Nix

I have created an Active Server Component (ASC) as a bridge between ASP and
my existing C++ DLLs that we use in our PC-based program. Our intent is to
re-use as much code as possible. But, when I call the ASC from ASP, and
then call the DLL, the security profile that is specified in IIS is no
longer associated with the process, and therefore, any "network-related"
calls fail due to insufficient privileges. I don't know if there is
"another" way to call the DLL from the ASC or not, or any way to
specifically load a DLL with a certain security profile, but I need some
help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Jason Nix

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

"Jason Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have created an Active Server Component (ASC) as a bridge between ASP

and
> my existing C++ DLLs that we use in our PC-based program. Our intent is

> re-use as much code as possible. But, when I call the ASC from ASP, and
> then call the DLL, the security profile that is specified in IIS is no
> longer associated with the process, and therefore, any "network-related"
> calls fail due to insufficient privileges. I don't know if there is
> "another" way to call the DLL from the ASC or not, or any way to
> specifically load a DLL with a certain security profile, but I need some
> help.

What is an ASC? You mean that you created a script component (WSC) that
'supports' more or less, asp? If so, you must understand that depending on
your isolation settings, your component is executed under IWAM_ or IUSR_...
If you place that component within COM+, it surely will loose the ASp
context (except if you start passing it manually using GetObjectContext, but
this is awfull programming)