Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to launch program without opening dialog

How to launch program without opening dialog

SK

I am calling an exe thru' href, but when it executes,
I get the message if I want to open the file(exe file).
Is there any way I can suppress this from appearing
and open the program?

Thank you,
SK

ljb

Probably not an ASP question...

<script language="vbscript">
function RunFile(TheFile)
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run """" & TheFile & """, 0, False"
end function
</script>
<A href='vbscript:RunFile("\\server\path\program.exe" )'>Run this program</A>

"SK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:023301c3dac8$13173bf0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am calling an exe thru' href, but when it executes,
> I get the message if I want to open the file(exe file).
> Is there any way I can suppress this from appearing
> and open the program?
>
> Thank you,
> SK

Curt_C [MVP]

No, thank heavens....
It's a HUGE security risk. The user will have to alter their settings to
allow this.
Think about it. I could send a user to a link with a virus.exe on it and
install it automatically... NOT a good thing.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"SK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:023301c3dac8$13173bf0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am calling an exe thru' href, but when it executes,
> I get the message if I want to open the file(exe file).
> Is there any way I can suppress this from appearing
> and open the program?
>
> Thank you,
> SK

SK

ljb,

Thanks for the reply!

I am able to run my program, however when its launched,
I get window "Some files can harm your computer....

YOu want to Open/Save/Cancel ...

How to avoid this message from appearing so that it
runs the program.
Next thing is it should open the file using the name
that I pass on. For eg. you want to open an excel
file using excel.

Thanks again for your help!
-SK

sk

Curt,

Can set it programmatically, then reset it back?

Thanks much!
-SK

Dan Boylett

"SK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:032001c3dad1$2d08d740$(E-Mail Removed)...

> How to avoid this message from appearing so that it
> runs the program.

This requires a very low security model - 'non-existant'.
As Curt mentions, allowing this to occur is a potentially huge security
risk, even in a trusted environment.
You may just have to live with the Open/Save/Cancel box.

> Next thing is it should open the file using the name
> that I pass on. For eg. you want to open an excel
> file using excel.

If Excel is installed, and the file associations haven't been altered, Excel
will automatically open .xls files - you don't need to specify this.

Ray at

Link to the .xls file, and the file will open (depending on the user's
settings). Are you trying to link to excel.exe on your server or something?
That wouldn't work. Excel can be executed without being installed but it
needs 7 or 8 dependent files in the startup directory or %path% even for
that to work. If the person has Excel on his machine, the xls file will
open in it (or in the browser with an execl.exe process or the user will be
prompted to download the file). This is all determined by the user's
settings for the .xls filetype.

Ray at work

"SK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:032001c3dad1$2d08d740$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ljb,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I am able to run my program, however when its launched,
> I get window "Some files can harm your computer....
>
> YOu want to Open/Save/Cancel ...
>
> How to avoid this message from appearing so that it
> runs the program.
> Next thing is it should open the file using the name
> that I pass on. For eg. you want to open an excel
> file using excel.
>
> Thanks again for your help!
> -SK

SK

Curt,

Or if there is flag I can specify like NOCHECK, NOPROMPT,
SECURITY=OFF.

Thank you,
-SK

Ray at

The same risk would still exist then, would it not?

''code to change user's settings
''code to execute virus

?

Ray at work

"sk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:033b01c3dad2$272a3250$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Curt,
>
> Can set it programmatically, then reset it back?
>
> Thanks much!
> -SK

Curt_C [MVP]

no... again this would be a huge security risk and by default it not
allowed.
If it's programmatically alterable I could easily infect any person who
visit a site.