Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > update my own app - asp

update my own app - asp

MW

For laptop users who have an ASP application running on their laptops
- is there a way I can have it check when connected to the network
(via the FSO lastmodifieddate) which files need to be updated
(enhancements, etc.), then shoot the ASP pages that have changed down
to the client?

Ray at

In what way do you mean this? Are you talking about web developers who take
projects with them on their laptops or users of your site with laptops? If
the former, the offline files feature in W2K or XP can handle this.

Ray at work

"MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> For laptop users who have an ASP application running on their laptops
> - is there a way I can have it check when connected to the network
> (via the FSO lastmodifieddate) which files need to be updated
> (enhancements, etc.), then shoot the ASP pages that have changed down
> to the client?

MW

More users of an "offline" version of the same web app.

"Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In what way do you mean this? Are you talking about web developers who take
> projects with them on their laptops or users of your site with laptops? If
> the former, the offline files feature in W2K or XP can handle this.
>
> Ray at work
>
> "MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > For laptop users who have an ASP application running on their laptops
> > - is there a way I can have it check when connected to the network
> > (via the FSO lastmodifieddate) which files need to be updated
> > (enhancements, etc.), then shoot the ASP pages that have changed down
> > to the client?

Ray at

These are the users of your web application, or developers edit the .asp
files? Can you clarify what you're asking?

Ray at work

"MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> More users of an "offline" version of the same web app.

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In what way do you mean this? Are you talking about web developers who

take
> > projects with them on their laptops or users of your site with laptops?

If
> > the former, the offline files feature in W2K or XP can handle this.
> >
> > Ray at work
> >
> > "MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > For laptop users who have an ASP application running on their laptops
> > > - is there a way I can have it check when connected to the network
> > > (via the FSO lastmodifieddate) which files need to be updated
> > > (enhancements, etc.), then shoot the ASP pages that have changed down
> > > to the client?

MW

Naaa - the "offline" app is really just a clone of the online app, but
for guys in the field with no Internet connection, and with very
little data.

So when I make an enhancement to the online application (the one on
our Intranet), I was wondering if the "offline" application could do a
quick check (via the FSO and lastmodifieddate) to determine the
changed ASP's and push them out to the "offline" app. Kinda like a
"Windows Update", but without the ActiveX.

"Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> These are the users of your web application, or developers edit the .asp
> files? Can you clarify what you're asking?
>
> Ray at work
>
> "MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > More users of an "offline" version of the same web app.
> >

> > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > In what way do you mean this? Are you talking about web developers who

> take
> > > projects with them on their laptops or users of your site with laptops?

> If
> > > the former, the offline files feature in W2K or XP can handle this.
> > >
> > > Ray at work
> > >
> > > "MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

Ray at

While doing something like this would be possible, it would be far from a
simple task. You'd have to install IIS on those machines and setup
duplicate intranets locally on their machines, and you'd have to have a way
of distributing your updated files, a way a storing data locally on their
machines and then merging later when they're online, as well as
synchronizing all the data back out to their machines after that. This
would be a management nightmare to do. If you think about how an intranet
works, you should hopefully see why. Forget that it's your intranet for a
moment and pretend someone asked you if he could somehow get Ebay on his
computer to use when he's not connected to the Internet. Even if you were
Ebay's webmaster, can you think of a way to do this, a good way? No.

A client based application would be a much better solution, if it's
important for your users to be able to easily track things when offline. It
would be much simpler in the long end if you threw together even just a
simple VB app that mimics your intranet application and make it so that it
logs the user's data to a file that he can later upload to your intranet.
And have your ASP code parse that info and stick it in your database on the
server. Or something along these lines.

Ray at work

"MW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Naaa - the "offline" app is really just a clone of the online app, but
> for guys in the field with no Internet connection, and with very
> little data.
>
> So when I make an enhancement to the online application (the one on
> our Intranet), I was wondering if the "offline" application could do a
> quick check (via the FSO and lastmodifieddate) to determine the
> changed ASP's and push them out to the "offline" app. Kinda like a
> "Windows Update", but without the ActiveX.

news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...