Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > I'm amazed of the intense inefficiency of Soap Error messages!...

I'm amazed of the intense inefficiency of Soap Error messages!...

Vince C.

Hi.

I've been facing problems many times with Soap Toolkit 3.0 and ASP clients. And
I never got help of any kind with logged messages even if they verbose a maximum
of information. They simply log everything but useful: what endpoint URL? what
was the stream? What length? Was it XML? Was it UTF-8? Was it Unicode? Was it
iso-8859-1? Was it because an internal object was not instantiated? Was the user
authenticated?

Apart from the "unexpected error", which is shorter and saves space, there is
nothing helpful in those error messages. I've always had to either start another
project or launch a TCP/IP tracer to gather more... or just accurate
information, simply.

I don't count the hours I spent debugging an error like:

Soap error: XML Parser failed at linenumber 1, lineposition 0, reason is: No
data available for the specified resource.

Full stop. There's an error and I've got to investigate where it's hidden.
Especially hurting when you're in a hurry. But that's another story.

Vince C.

MSFT

Hi Vince,

I think you may consider ungrading to ASP.NET and Web service. In VS.NET
IDE, it will be easier to debug a web serivce or a XML document. You can
review this article and determine if this make sense:

Migrating from the SOAP Toolkit to Web Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/dndotnet/ht
ml/migrsoapwebserv.asp

Hope this help,

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Vince C.

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Vince,
>
> I think you may consider ungrading to ASP.NET and Web service. In VS.NET
> IDE, it will be easier to debug a web serivce or a XML document. You can
> review this article and determine if this make sense:
>
> Migrating from the SOAP Toolkit to Web Services
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/dndotnet/ht
> ml/migrsoapwebserv.asp

Thanks for bearing my grins, Luke. But I may not migrate. This will definitely
be part of my experience in traditional ASP/COM.

I don't plan to step to .NET. I've got years of experience in "traditional"
development that I still want to keep. Dot NET is not an option for me as we
already have team members in that discipline. I'll continue enhancing my domain
of knowledge and to add value to it.

Vince C.