Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > PBM: MSXML4 typelib constants not recognized in server-side script

PBM: MSXML4 typelib constants not recognized in server-side script

Vince C.

Hi,

I've created a web application with Visual Interdev and I've added Microsoft
XML, version 4 in project's references. A META tag has been successfully added
in global.asa:

<!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="Microsoft XML, v4.0"
UUID="{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}" VERSION="4.0"-->

But when I write the following code in an ASP server-side JavaScript:

I get a Microsoft VBScript error '800a01f4'. Undefined variable:
'SOMITEM_ELEMENT'

I don't get such an error with ADO constants (even though I didn't include
ADOJS.inc). Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Vince C.

Bob Barrows

Vince C. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a web application with Visual Interdev and I've added
> Microsoft XML, version 4 in project's references. A META tag has been
> successfully added in global.asa:
>
> <!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="Microsoft XML, v4.0"
> UUID="{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}" VERSION="4.0"-->
>
> But when I write the following code in an ASP server-side JavaScript:

> I get a Microsoft VBScript error '800a01f4'. Undefined variable:
> 'SOMITEM_ELEMENT'
>
> I don't get such an error with ADO constants (even though I didn't
> include ADOJS.inc). Can someone tell me what's wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vince C.

Two possibilities:
1. The server does not have the version 4 parser installed. The Interdev
References dialog lists type libraries installed on YOUR machine. These may
not correspond with type libraries installed on the server.

2. That's not the right UUID for version 4 (unlikely, given that you added
it via Interdev References)

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Vince C.

"Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vince C. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've created a web application with Visual Interdev and I've added
> > Microsoft XML, version 4 in project's references. A META tag has been
> > successfully added in global.asa:
> >
> > <!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="Microsoft XML, v4.0"
> > UUID="{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}" VERSION="4.0"-->

[...]
> Two possibilities:
> 1. The server does not have the version 4 parser installed. The Interdev
> References dialog lists type libraries installed on YOUR machine. These may
> not correspond with type libraries installed on the server.

Both the server and the client workstation are the same machine.

> 2. That's not the right UUID for version 4 (unlikely, given that you added
> it via Interdev References)

I've checked against the registry with OLE View. It's the right LIBID.

Could it be a bug in IIS such as it doesn't recognize a typelib that is shared
between multiple versions of the same package? ADO libraries have all a unique
LIBID, starting at v2.1. In the case of MSXML, LIBID
F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221 applies to MSXML 2.6, 3.0 and 4.0. This is
the only difference I've seen.

Vince C.

Bob Barrows

Vince C. wrote:
> "Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Vince C. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've created a web application with Visual Interdev and I've added
>>> Microsoft XML, version 4 in project's references. A META tag has
>>> been successfully added in global.asa:
>>>
>>> <!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="Microsoft XML, v4.0"
>>> UUID="{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}" VERSION="4.0"-->

> [...]
>> Two possibilities:
>> 1. The server does not have the version 4 parser installed. The
>> Interdev References dialog lists type libraries installed on YOUR
>> machine. These may not correspond with type libraries installed on
>> the server.

> Both the server and the client workstation are the same machine.
>

>> 2. That's not the right UUID for version 4 (unlikely, given that you
>> added it via Interdev References)

> I've checked against the registry with OLE View. It's the right LIBID.
>
> Could it be a bug in IIS such as it doesn't recognize a typelib that
> is shared between multiple versions of the same package? ADO
> libraries have all a unique LIBID, starting at v2.1. In the case of
> MSXML, LIBID F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221 applies to MSXML
> 2.6, 3.0 and 4.0. This is the only difference I've seen.
>
> Vince C.

You've got me. Hopefully someone else will jump in with the answer. Have you
tried a google search?

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

MSFT

Hi Vince,

From the description, the ASP application didn't recognize the constance
"SOMITEM_ELEMENT" defined in MSXML. If you type:

MSXML2.

in the InterDev IDE, will the IntelliSense occur to list all objects and
constants in MSXML?

If you also have Visual Basic 6.0 installed on the same computer, you may
try to add the reference in a VB project to see if it also fail to
recognize it.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Vince C.

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Vince,
>
> From the description, the ASP application didn't recognize the constance
> "SOMITEM_ELEMENT" defined in MSXML. If you type:
>
> MSXML2.
>
> in the InterDev IDE, will the IntelliSense occur to list all objects and
> constants in MSXML?

Thanks, Luke. But I don't need to prefix MSXML2 constants in ASP scripts with
"MSXML2.". As soon as I type SOMITEM, for instance, VI correctly drops down a
list with possible matches. It's only when running server-side code that I get
an error.

> If you also have Visual Basic 6.0 installed on the same computer, you may
> try to add the reference in a VB project to see if it also fail to
> recognize it.

No problem with VB at all but it's out of my scope though it works as expected
(intellisense drop down list).

Vince C.

Vince C.

"Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]
> You've got me. Hopefully someone else will jump in with the answer. Have you
> tried a google search?

Nothing significant...

Vince C.

Chris Hohmann

"Vince C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've created a web application with Visual Interdev and I've added

Microsoft
> XML, version 4 in project's references. A META tag has been

successfully added
> in global.asa:
>
> <!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="Microsoft XML, v4.0"
> UUID="{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}" VERSION="4.0"-->
>
> But when I write the following code in an ASP server-side JavaScript:

> I get a Microsoft VBScript error '800a01f4'. Undefined variable:
> 'SOMITEM_ELEMENT'
>
> I don't get such an error with ADO constants (even though I didn't

include
> ADOJS.inc). Can someone tell me what's wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vince C.

Remove version.

<!--
METADATA TYPE="TypeLib"
NAME="Microsoft XML, v4.0"
UUID="{F5078F18-C551-11D3-89B9-0000F81FE221}"
-->

HTH
-Chris Hohmann

MSFT

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information, This seems to able to fix the problem.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

MSFT

Hi Vince,

Please test the Chris's suggestion in your project. I think it should be
helpful since we have made sure MSXML installed well on your server and IIS
add the reference successfully.