Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > HTML Textarea

HTML Textarea

Mike Labman

This is more of an HTML/CSS question, but I figure someone in here might
know.

I'm using in the stylesheet:
BORDER-RIGHT: none;
BORDER-TOP: none;
BORDER-LEFT: none;
BORDER-BOTTOM: none;
OVERFLOW: hidden;

to hide the borders and scrollbar, which works in windows browsers, but
in MAC safari the borders and scrollbar still show up and in MAC
explorer the scrollbar still shows up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

It might just be that safari doesn't support those CSS attributes, or at
least not for certain elements like TEXTAREA. Have you tried also using
scrollbars=0/none/no/auto, scrolling=0/none/no/auto in the TEXTAREA tag as
opposed to relying solely on CSS?

You might try a Mac / web newsgroup. ASP doesn't have any control over
client-side style sheets.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Mike Labman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#1Zqx#(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is more of an HTML/CSS question, but I figure someone in here might
> know.
>
> I'm using in the stylesheet:
> BORDER-RIGHT: none;
> BORDER-TOP: none;
> BORDER-LEFT: none;
> BORDER-BOTTOM: none;
> OVERFLOW: hidden;
>
> to hide the borders and scrollbar, which works in windows browsers, but
> in MAC safari the borders and scrollbar still show up and in MAC
> explorer the scrollbar still shows up.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Roland Hall

Mike...

"Mike Labman" wrote:
: This is more of an HTML/CSS question, but I figure someone in here might
: know.
You're right, it is but more specifically which CSS attributes are supported
by which browsers. Someone in here might know how to fix your car too but
that doesn't make it the forum for auto mechanics. Jes' sayin'...

: I'm using in the stylesheet:
: BORDER-RIGHT: none;
: BORDER-TOP: none;
: BORDER-LEFT: none;
: BORDER-BOTTOM: none;
: OVERFLOW: hidden;

This is not a style block. You're not telling us what you're assigning it
to. BLOCKQUOTE, BODY, CENTER, DD, DIR, DIV, DL, DT, FIELDSET, FORM, H1, H2,
H3, H4, H5, H6, HR, LI, LISTING, MARQUEE, MENU, OL, P, PLAINTEXT, PRE,
TABLE, TD, TH, TR, UL, XMP, CAPTION, TEXTAREA, IFRAME, SPAN, IMG, EMBED,
OBJECT, INPUT??? Also, you do not have to set all sides of a border to
none. Borders are not set automatically. By default, they are not
assigned. However, if you did have to over-ride another style, you would do
it with scripting or inline, not as a style block which has the lowest
priority.

border: none would apply to border-style: none
border: 0px would apply to border-width: 0px

Either will work, depending on browser support.

And, if you want to set one or more, you can still do it in for all sides
but you need two statements:

border-width: 1px 2px thin thick;
border-style: solid inset dotted outset;

You could also add color:

border-color: red blue green black;

With 1 it sets all 4 sides.
With 2 it sets top/bottom, left-right.
With 3 it sets top, right-left, bottom.

However, with just border: you can only set all 4 sides the same.

{ border: border-width || border-style || border-color }

: to hide the borders and scrollbar, which works in windows browsers, but
: in MAC safari the borders and scrollbar still show up and in MAC
: explorer the scrollbar still shows up.

Which versions? All browsers are different even between versions. (he says
loosely)

Some areas of interest:
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/s...rowsers-1.html