Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Preserving the original URL in address bar after a redirect.

Preserving the original URL in address bar after a redirect.

Lee Farrant

I was browsing the web the other day and a website I had a look at
redirected you to a different webpage but still preserved the original
URL that was typed in the address bar on the browser (it didn't move
or change at all) How is that possible? I would like to do something
similar.

The reason I am asking is because I want visitors to view a profile of
a user like this

myweb.com/fred

this would have to be translated and redirected to
mysite.com/profiles.asp?user=fred

but I want the original URL address to stay showing in the address bar

myweb.com/fred

Lee

Steven Burn

It's called "masking"..... check your IIS documentation for info.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Lee Farrant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I was browsing the web the other day and a website I had a look at
> redirected you to a different webpage but still preserved the original
> URL that was typed in the address bar on the browser (it didn't move
> or change at all) How is that possible? I would like to do something
> similar.
>
> The reason I am asking is because I want visitors to view a profile of
> a user like this
>
> myweb.com/fred
>
> this would have to be translated and redirected to
> mysite.com/profiles.asp?user=fred
>
> but I want the original URL address to stay showing in the address bar
>
> myweb.com/fred
>
> Lee

Bob Barrows

Lee,
Thank you for cross-posting instead of multiposting, but I do not understand
why you thought that .asp.db was an appropriate newsgroup for this question.
It's got nothing to do with databases. You may have thought that you were
enhancing your chances of getting an answer, but most of us regulars
subscribe to both of these groups, so instead of making sure you got an
answer, all you did was mildly annoy people who had to look at the same
message twice.

There are times when posting to multiple groups is appropriate. This does
not seem to be one of them.

Bob Barrows (posting from microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db)

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"