Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Setting Date Time

Setting Date Time

Harag

Hi all

I think this is in the wrong group but since I don't read others much
or code in java script I was wondering if anyone could help me with
this small problem, as I code mostly in ASP vbscript.

I have the following piece of Javascript client code that displays the
users clock on the browser and updates it every second.

I was wondering is it possible for me to set the time to the SERVER
time via ASP vbscript. and then update this time every second on the
users browser. I want all users to see the time & date of the SERVER
and not thier time/date. I've tried looking at
www.javascriptsource.com and not found anything that might help.

The current code I have is:

function NewTime() {
mDateTime1 = Date().split(" ");
var clockHandle = true; // Dummy init value
clockHandle = GetElement('MyDateTime');
if (clockHandle) {
clockHandle.innerHTML = mDateTime1[1] + " " +
mDateTime1[2] + ", " + mDateTime1[4] + ", " + mDateTime1[3];
}
setTimeout("NewTime()",500);
}

Could anyone modify this so I can set the time for it to start at???

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Al.

Ray at

If you want to get the server's time, just use <%=Time%> wherever you need
it to appear. You can put <%=Time%> in your jscript code if that's where
you need it.

Ray at home

"Harag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>

> I think this is in the wrong group but since I don't read others much
> or code in java script I was wondering if anyone could help me with
> this small problem, as I code mostly in ASP vbscript.
>
> I have the following piece of Javascript client code that displays the
> users clock on the browser and updates it every second.
>
> I was wondering is it possible for me to set the time to the SERVER
> time via ASP vbscript. and then update this time every second on the
> users browser. I want all users to see the time & date of the SERVER
> and not thier time/date. I've tried looking at
> www.javascriptsource.com and not found anything that might help.
>
> The current code I have is:
>
> function NewTime() {
> mDateTime1 = Date().split(" ");
> var clockHandle = true; // Dummy init value
> clockHandle = GetElement('MyDateTime');
> if (clockHandle) {
> clockHandle.innerHTML = mDateTime1[1] + " " +
> mDateTime1[2] + ", " + mDateTime1[4] + ", " + mDateTime1[3];
> }
> setTimeout("NewTime()",500);
> }
>
> Could anyone modify this so I can set the time for it to start at???
>
> Thanks for any help on this matter.
>
> Al.

Evertjan.

Harag wrote on 20 dec 2003 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> I think this is in the wrong group but since I don't read others much
> or code in java script I was wondering if anyone could help me with
> this small problem, as I code mostly in ASP vbscript.
>
> I have the following piece of Javascript client code that displays the
> users clock on the browser and updates it every second.

Only coded for IE:

======== times.asp =======

Client timezone corrected server date/time:
Client date/time:

<script runat=server language=jscript>
gmt=+new Date()
</script>

<script>
var t=+<%=gmt%>
var tOut
function eachSecond(){
tOut=setTimeout('eachSecond()',1000)
a.innerHTML=new Date(t)
b.innerHTML=new Date()
t+=1000
}
eachSecond()
</script>

================

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Don Verhagen

"Harag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>

> I think this is in the wrong group but since I don't read others much
> or code in java script I was wondering if anyone could help me with
> this small problem, as I code mostly in ASP vbscript.
>
> I have the following piece of Javascript client code that displays the
> users clock on the browser and updates it every second.

[remaining post snipped]

I never understood the purpose of putting the users's clock on a webpage. It
always seems like a waste of resources, especially updating every second.
The user already has a clock, why give them another?

Don

Harag

Hi

THANKS! for the help, it works great.

I've copied my version below incase anyone is interested.

Al

*********************
<%@ language="VBScript" %>
<% Option Explicit %>
<%
' VBscript!!!
DIM GMT
GMT = year(now) & ", "&month(Now)-1&", "&day(now)&",
"&hour(now)&", "&Minute(Now)&", " & second(now)
%>

<head>
<script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">
<!-- Begin
function UserTime()
{
mDateTime1 = Date().split(" ");
var clockHandle = true; // Dummy init value
clockHandle = GetElement('MyDateTime');
if (clockHandle) {
clockHandle.innerHTML = mDateTime1[1] + " " +
mDateTime1[2] + ", " + mDateTime1[4] + ", " + mDateTime1[3];
}
setTimeout("UserTime()", 500);
}

var t=+ new Date(<%=GMT %>)
function ServerTime() {
mServerDT = new Date(t)
monthNames = new Array("", "Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "April",
"May", "June", "July", "Aug", "Sept", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec")
Hour = mServerDT.getHours()
Minutes = mServerDT.getMinutes()
Seconds = mServerDT.getSeconds()
Day = mServerDT.getDate()

Hour < 10 ? Hour = "0" + Hour.toString() :
Hour=Hour.toString()
Minutes < 10 ? Minutes = "0" + Minutes.toString() :
Minutes=Minutes.toString()
Seconds < 10 ? Seconds = "0" + Seconds.toString() :
Seconds=Seconds.toString()
Day < 10 ? Day = "0" + Day.toString() : Day=Day.toString()

var clockHandle = true; // Dummy init value
clockHandle = GetElement('ServerDateTime');
if (clockHandle) {
clockHandle.innerHTML = Hour + ":" + Minutes + ":" +
Seconds + " " + monthNames[mServerDT.getMonth()+1] + " " + Day + ", "
+ (mServerDT.getFullYear()+21)
}
t +=500
setTimeout('ServerTime()', 500)
}
// End -->
</script>
</head>

===========================
GetElement.js included as well:

var DOM = (document.getElementById ? 1 : 0);
var IE4DOM = (document.all ? 1 : 0);

function GetElement(id) {
var idHandle = (DOM ? document.getElementById(id) : (IE4DOM ?
document.all[id] : false));
return (idHandle ? idHandle : false);
}

On 20 Dec 2003 08:18:49 GMT, "Evertjan."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Harag wrote on 20 dec 2003 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>> I think this is in the wrong group but since I don't read others much
>> or code in java script I was wondering if anyone could help me with
>> this small problem, as I code mostly in ASP vbscript.
>>
>> I have the following piece of Javascript client code that displays the
>> users clock on the browser and updates it every second.
>>

>Only coded for IE:
>
>======== times.asp =======
>
>Client timezone corrected server date/time:
>Client date/time:
>
><script runat=server language=jscript>
> gmt=+new Date()
></script>
>
><script>
> var t=+<%=gmt%>
> var tOut
> function eachSecond(){
> tOut=setTimeout('eachSecond()',1000)
> a.innerHTML=new Date(t)
> b.innerHTML=new Date()
> t+=1000
> }
> eachSecond()
></script>
>
>================

Evertjan.

Harag wrote on 20 dec 2003 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> <%
> ' VBscript!!!
> DIM GMT
> GMT = year(now) & ", "&month(Now)-1&", "&day(now)&",
> "&hour(now)&", "&Minute(Now)&", " & second(now)
> %>

The problem you make is that serverside vbs "Now" is server local time and
not necessarily GMT or the local time of the client.

Except when server and all clients are in the same timezone, including
summertime definition, this seems an unrealistic approach.

Serverside jscript can as shown be manipulated to show UT = GMT.
Clientside javascript can change this to client local time.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Harag

Hi

Yes, this is exactly the time I wanted showing on all clients
machines... the server time.

I'm helping in doing a small multi-player browser game where the
server time is more important to the client than any other time as the
players will do orders that relate to the server time. I just thought
it would be nice to have the clock "ticking" rather than a static
update everytime they refreshed the pages.

Thanks again.

Al.

On 20 Dec 2003 18:49:30 GMT, "Evertjan."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem you make is that serverside vbs "Now" is server local time and
>not necessarily GMT or the local time of the client.

Harag

I couldn't agree more...

The clock I want to actual display is the SERVERS time.

Al.