Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > When all else fails ask the ones that seem to know all........

When all else fails ask the ones that seem to know all........

Gonzosez

Problem---
NT 4.0 server patched to the max
XP Pro client patched to the max
This is on my LAN

File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.

I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
answer.
Anyone have any ideas???

Steven Burn

I've just installed XP Pro on one of my test systems and found it to be
extremely slow compared to my 98se system, so I'm guessing it's got
something to do with it's authorization/verification settings (I've not
bothered to check them just yet..).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Gonzosez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem---
> NT 4.0 server patched to the max
> XP Pro client patched to the max
> This is on my LAN
>
> File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
> to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.
>
> I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
> I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
> answer.
> Anyone have any ideas???

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

XP Pro probably has some overhead because it can join the domain, and
participate in all the things that entails (such as using encryption to
check share permissions against Active Directory or the DC, rather than just
passing credentials in clear text).

Unfortunately, it is doubtful that you will find a large number of people in
an ASP group to help you troubleshoot network performance, particularly
since we don't know how your network is configured, and obviously don't have
access to it. You might have as much luck in a SQL Server or Led Zeppelin
or Star Wars group... after all, they must all be using computers, right?

I recommend posting again in the XP/9x network newsgroups (assuming, of
course, that you have let a reasonable amount of time pass before giving up
and posting in an unrelated group). Also, since other people have seen the
same behavior, you might search groups.google.com for previous
conversations...

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Steven Burn" <nobody@PVT_it-mate.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just installed XP Pro on one of my test systems and found it to be
> extremely slow compared to my 98se system, so I'm guessing it's got
> something to do with it's authorization/verification settings (I've not
> bothered to check them just yet..).
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
> Disclaimer:
> I know I'm probably wrong, I just like taking part ;o)
>

> Gonzosez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Problem---
> > NT 4.0 server patched to the max
> > XP Pro client patched to the max
> > This is on my LAN
> >
> > File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
> > to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.
> >
> > I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
> > I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
> > answer.
> > Anyone have any ideas???

Ray at

Assuming you've checked the obvious possible hardware causes...

If the file in on an NT PDC or BDC, uninstall SP1 off your XP machine and
wait for SP2 to come out, if it hasn't already. Either that, or don't use a
domain controller as a file server. If the NT server is just a member
server, try posting in that Star Wars group.

Ray at home

"Gonzosez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem---
> NT 4.0 server patched to the max
> XP Pro client patched to the max
> This is on my LAN
>
> File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
> to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.
>
> I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
> I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
> answer.
> Anyone have any ideas???

Gonzosez

Yes I have checked all the obvious things that I could think of.
I also posted to the NT and XP groups and got no response.
I would also imagine that this group could shed a whole lot of light on Led
Zeppelin if the right question was asked.
As for the Star Wars group I may have to try that, Yoda may be monitoring.
Thanks for your help

"Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myFirstNameATlane34dotKOMM> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Assuming you've checked the obvious possible hardware causes...
>
> If the file in on an NT PDC or BDC, uninstall SP1 off your XP machine and
> wait for SP2 to come out, if it hasn't already. Either that, or don't use

> domain controller as a file server. If the NT server is just a member
> server, try posting in that Star Wars group.
>
> Ray at home
>
> "Gonzosez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Problem---
> > NT 4.0 server patched to the max
> > XP Pro client patched to the max
> > This is on my LAN
> >
> > File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
> > to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.
> >
> > I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
> > I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
> > answer.
> > Anyone have any ideas???

Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:52:46 -0500, "Gonzosez" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Problem---
>NT 4.0 server patched to the max
>XP Pro client patched to the max
>This is on my LAN
>
>File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
>to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.
>
>I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
>I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
>answer.
>Anyone have any ideas???

Except it's not an IIS issue, and you really should be asking in the
correct groups. You also need to provide a lot more specifics as to
your network configuration, such as whether or not you have WINS
enabled, whether you've disabled the "Register this connection in DNS"
checkbox, what protocols other than TCP/IP you mkight be using,
whether you're in a domain or workgroup and so on.

Jeff

Steven Burn

"> Nope. Sorry. We can only shed a whole lotta love on Led Zeppelin...
(O:="

HEAR HEAR!

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Roland Hall <nobody@nowhere> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gonzosez" wrote:
> > I would also imagine that this group could shed a whole lot of light on

> Led
> > Zeppelin if the right question was asked.

> Nope. Sorry. We can only shed a whole lotta love on Led Zeppelin... (O:=
>
> --
> Roland
>
> This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
> or fitness for a particular purpose.

Roland Hall