Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > too much text in textarea, submit does nothing with "get" how to use "post"

too much text in textarea, submit does nothing with "get" how to use "post"

Pete Mahoney

Ok I use a textarea to store data input by the user, and then upon
them clicking the submit button I store this data to a database. The
problem is once the user inputs too much data (about 3 paragraphs or
2020 characters) when they click on the submit button nothing happens.
When I say nothing happens I mean just that, nothing at all happens
the page just sits there as if nothing at all happened. If I remove
one line for the textarea, and then press the submit button everything
works fine.

Now I read that a way to fix this problem is to use the following:

<form name="form1" action="<%= Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
%>" method="Get"> --> HERE REPLACE "Get" with "Post"

Now this works great and the form will submit, but I can't later call
Request.QueryString("ProbDescription") and get the data back. So my
question is when I use this Post function how do I save off data, and
get it back when I need it? Also how do I pass this data from one
page to the next?

If you have any idea on how I can fix this problem please let me know.
I have posted the test code I used below, and if you run it and try
and put more than 2500 characters in it nothing happens.

<% @ LANGUAGE = VBScript %>
<% Option Explicit %>
<%

%>

<head>
charset=windows-1252">
<title>Welcome to FirstLogic DRC</title>

</head>
<Body>

<form name="form1" action="<%= Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
%>" method="Get">
<H5><TEXTAREA name="ProbDescription" rows=4 cols=58 style="border: 1
<input type="submit" value="Test" id=submit1 name=submit1>&nbsp;
</form>
<%
Response.Write Request.QueryString("ProbDescription")
%>

Ray at

Use Request.Form instead of REquest.querystring.

Ray at work

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...