Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > AspEnableParentPaths and Design Time Controls

AspEnableParentPaths and Design Time Controls

Scott

I have created my site in the root (www.mysite.com) and have recently
added a directory called test (www.mysite.com/test/). The environment
setup is:

Server: Windows 2000 Server SP4
Development Machine: Windows 2000 Professional SP4
Development Software: Visual Interdev 6.0 SP5

When I drag DTC's onto a page in the new directory, I am propmted to
add the Scripting Object Model. Which according to the following
article, you have to say yes to:

PRB: Visual InterDev 6.0 Design-Time Controls Require Client-Side
Script

By selecting yes, the following code on gets placed onto the page

<% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
<!--#include file="../_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp"-->
<% if StartPageProcessing() Then Response.End() %>
<FORM name=thisForm METHOD=post>

Note the "../" before "_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp", this is obviously
placed there because the "_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp" is located in the
root of the project. This code cannot be modified through Interdev,
thus negating the resolution in the following article:

Err Msg: Active Server Pages, ASP 0131 Disallowed Parent Path

It can however be manually edited in notepad (which does work), but
this could prove to be quite tedious.

The alternative solution is NOT an option, as our servers must matain
a strict level of security. Note the security articles published by
Microsoft:

Secure Internet Information Services 5 Checklist
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ps/iis5chk.asp

Suggests Disable Parent Paths
The Parent Paths option allows you to use ".." in calls to functions
such as MapPath. By default, this option is enabled, and you should
disable it.

AND

AspEnableParentPaths MetaBase Property Should Be Set To False

Reiterates the first or vice versa.

What I would like to know is if there is a method, other than manual
method, whereby I drag the DTC onto my page and the following code is
automattically placed on my page:

<% ' VI 6.0 Scripting Object Model Enabled %>
<!--#include virtual="/_ScriptLibrary/pm.asp"-->
<% if StartPageProcessing() Then Response.End() %>
<FORM name=thisForm METHOD=post>

Any help would be much appreciated!

Scott

Took your advice and I have rewritten an entire site using VB for SQL
interaction Server-Side and Java Script for Client-Side. This has
proved to be a very educational exercise, as well as a wake up call to
how sloppy my code was before.

Now my site functions on most platforms. Whereas, before my site was
pretty much IE 5 or greater compliant ONLY.