Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > can ASP table display 200 columns, 500,000 rows?

can ASP table display 200 columns, 500,000 rows?

Rich

I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns and
500,000 rows of data. But I have been pulling data from a
Lotus Notes database into Sql Server for a while now, but
Lotus Notes is starting to crack, columns getting
corrupted. Can't handle the volume of data and number of
columns. Sql Server has no problem. But displaying the
data is the big deal. The end users want to be able to
scroll acros a page to the colum of their choice, or be
able to scroll up or down. I was thinking of breaking up
the table into section, but this would reqire additional
clicking to get to the next section of the table. Would
it be feasable to have a 200 column table in asp? or
should I stick with the section idea? I have to tell my
dept something. They started out with Lotus Notes but
couldn't query the data. I have been suggesting to
migrate the project entirely to Sql Server/IIS. Notes can
at least display all the columns. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Ray at

I'd say it's just a matter of personal preference after considering the
drawbacks of having that large or a response and putting that extra strain
on the server. When you want a drink of water, do you fill a glass and take
that with you back to your sofa, or do you pick up the entire river and try
to lug that back to your sofa?

Ray at work

news:cf9001c3ba84$dafae130$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns and
> 500,000 rows of data. But I have been pulling data from a
> Lotus Notes database into Sql Server for a while now, but
> Lotus Notes is starting to crack, columns getting
> corrupted. Can't handle the volume of data and number of
> columns. Sql Server has no problem. But displaying the
> data is the big deal. The end users want to be able to
> scroll acros a page to the colum of their choice, or be
> able to scroll up or down. I was thinking of breaking up
> the table into section, but this would reqire additional
> clicking to get to the next section of the table. Would
> it be feasable to have a 200 column table in asp? or
> should I stick with the section idea? I have to tell my
> dept something. They started out with Lotus Notes but
> couldn't query the data. I have been suggesting to
> migrate the project entirely to Sql Server/IIS. Notes can
> at least display all the columns. Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Bob Barrows

Rich wrote:
> I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns and
> 500,000 rows of data. But I have been pulling data from a
> Lotus Notes database into Sql Server for a while now, but
> Lotus Notes is starting to crack, columns getting
> corrupted. Can't handle the volume of data and number of
> columns. Sql Server has no problem. But displaying the
> data is the big deal. The end users want to be able to
> scroll acros a page to the colum of their choice, or be
> able to scroll up or down. I was thinking of breaking up
> the table into section, but this would reqire additional
> clicking to get to the next section of the table. Would
> it be feasable to have a 200 column table in asp? or
> should I stick with the section idea? I have to tell my
> dept something. They started out with Lotus Notes but
> couldn't query the data. I have been suggesting to
> migrate the project entirely to Sql Server/IIS. Notes can
> at least display all the columns. Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

I like the "section" idea. The user would have to click something anyways to
do the scroll. What difference if they click a scrollbar or a button?

You might be able to sell it by giving them a dropdown of column names -
when they select one, it will display the appropriate "section"

I would be very leary of trying to stream 500,000 rows to a the client in
one fell swoop.It's kind of ridiculous, don't you think? How is having that
many rows on the screen at one time of any use to anyone?

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

> I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns and
> 500,000 rows of data.

Why would you subject a user to this cruel torture?

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

Phill. W

news:cf9001c3ba84$dafae130$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns and
> 500,000 rows of data.

You Betcha!!

Just consider the HTML needed to display it:

"<table>", plus
500,000 lots of "<tr>" with
200 lots of "<td>" and "</td>" within that, plus
500,000 lots of "</tr>", plus the final
"</table>"

that's:

7 + 500,000 * ( 4 + 200 * ( 4 + 5 ) + 5 ) + 8 bytes
= 904,500,015 bytes
~= 0.83 Gigabytes!!

and that's without *any* actual data in it!!

Transmission time: (not counting /building/ it on the server)

100Mbit ethernet 72 seconds
56Kbit modem: just shy of 36 hours.

Not quite in Our Friends in Redmond's league - just under seven
*days* for the /single-file/ download of Visual Studio 2003 - but
getting there...

Regards,
Phill W.

and yes; I'm /very/ familiar with dial-up download times...

Mark Schupp

Is the data static or does it differ from one user to the next (or from one
query to the next)?
Is this on an intranet where the clients could have direct access to the
SQLServer database?
Which browsers must be supported? Can you limit support to a particular
browser?

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

news:cf9001c3ba84$dafae130$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns and
> 500,000 rows of data. But I have been pulling data from a
> Lotus Notes database into Sql Server for a while now, but
> Lotus Notes is starting to crack, columns getting
> corrupted. Can't handle the volume of data and number of
> columns. Sql Server has no problem. But displaying the
> data is the big deal. The end users want to be able to
> scroll acros a page to the colum of their choice, or be
> able to scroll up or down. I was thinking of breaking up
> the table into section, but this would reqire additional
> clicking to get to the next section of the table. Would
> it be feasable to have a 200 column table in asp? or
> should I stick with the section idea? I have to tell my
> dept something. They started out with Lotus Notes but
> couldn't query the data. I have been suggesting to
> migrate the project entirely to Sql Server/IIS. Notes can
> at least display all the columns. Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Rich

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I will go with
the section idea. And the suggestion for the dropdown box
listing all the columns is real cool too. Matter of fact,
I tried out Bob's ListDemo sample for the dropdown
listbox. works great!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Rich

Rich

Because Lotus Notes was able to do this with up to like
400,000 recs. But now starting to fail. Thus, I started
pushing ASP. Each record has a Datefield I could filter
by or an alphanumeric ID. I guess we don't really need to
display all 500,000 recs at once. Just that even though
Notes could sort of do it (Notes 5) it doesn't really have
built in filtering. So you get the whole thing. People
kinda got used to that. I guess I need to push - that
with Sql Server and ASP you can actually filter stuff and
not have to deal with the whole potatoe at once.

Rich

Yes, this data is on an intranet, and yes, I could hook
the intended audience up with ms Access to view the data
or custom apps, but for data entry (large company, over
130,000 employees) we have people entering data all over
the place. Right now everyone (for this project) uses
Lotus Notes for data entry and viewing (although I pull
the data in to Sql Server daily from Notes for creating
reports). You have the one Notes app which is accessible
anywhere within the company intranet. I'm thinking why
not migrate this straight to ASP/Sql Server, then I don't
have to pull in any data from Notes. And with ASP only
need the one app. Much easier to maintain than a bunch of
custom apps distributed all over the place.

message
>news:cf9001c3ba84$dafae130$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm sure it sounds kinda nutty to display 200 columns

and
>> 500,000 rows of data. But I have been pulling data

from a
>> Lotus Notes database into Sql Server for a while now,

but
>> Lotus Notes is starting to crack, columns getting
>> corrupted. Can't handle the volume of data and number

of
>> columns. Sql Server has no problem. But displaying the
>> data is the big deal. The end users want to be able to
>> scroll acros a page to the colum of their choice, or be
>> able to scroll up or down. I was thinking of breaking

up
>> the table into section, but this would reqire additional
>> clicking to get to the next section of the table. Would
>> it be feasable to have a 200 column table in asp? or
>> should I stick with the section idea? I have to tell my
>> dept something. They started out with Lotus Notes but
>> couldn't query the data. I have been suggesting to
>> migrate the project entirely to Sql Server/IIS. Notes

can
>> at least display all the columns. Suggestions

appreciated.

>> Thanks,
>> Rich

>.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

> Because Lotus Notes was able to do this with up to like
> 400,000 recs. But now starting to fail.

Whether you're using Lotus Notes, or ASP, or ColdFusion, or Flash, or a
mainframe, or a stone tablet... 400,000 rows is WAY too many for any human
to handle (never mind the actual technological limitations outlined by
others). Imagine hitting a web page that had 400,000 rows in a table. Does
it really sound fun? This is why when you search for things on the web, or
on google, they present (by default) 10 items per page, not 100,000. If you
get too many results, you can simply narrow down your search. This is the
angle you should be approaching from, in my opinion, rather than asking,
"how can I still force them to look at 500,000 rows at once!?!?!?"

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP