Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > how do I do a redirect from an .exe link?

how do I do a redirect from an .exe link?

Larry

Hi,

one of my downloadable programs is redundant but there are still a bunch of
links out there that point to the .exe directly ...

how do I redirect the browser to another url when someone requests the .exe
file?

TIA

Larry

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Move it, then they will get a 404 (or, you can use a custom 404 error page
to handle it more gracefully).

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> one of my downloadable programs is redundant but there are still a bunch

of
> links out there that point to the .exe directly ...
>
> how do I redirect the browser to another url when someone requests the

..exe
> file?
>
> TIA
>
> Larry

Larry

Thanks for the reply.

I realise I could move or remove it and the browser would see a 404 .. what
I was looking for was some sort of redirect to another page, (I suppose it
would be a sort of a custom 404) .... I'm afraid I don't know what to do to
create a "custom 404" page - any info on how to do this would be
appreciated!

Thanks again

Larry

"Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Om#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Move it, then they will get a 404 (or, you can use a custom 404 error page
> to handle it more gracefully).
>
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
>

> "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > one of my downloadable programs is redundant but there are still a bunch

> of
> > links out there that point to the .exe directly ...
> >
> > how do I redirect the browser to another url when someone requests the

> .exe
> > file?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Larry

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

http://www.aspfaq.com/2162

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

Larry

I appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, I created my site with interdev and it is stored on a virtual
server - I have no access to IIS directly. If I understand correctly, I have
to be able to instruct IIS to refer to the the custom 404 page.

As the IIS console isn't available to me, am I right in thinking I have to
contact my host and ask them to set it up?

Is this the only way around the problem?

Thanks again

Larry

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...