Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Windows Domain Authentication

Windows Domain Authentication

Zille Hassan

Dear All

Newbie question here. i design form to take input from
user(username,password). How do i autheticate if the user is Windows Domain
user and once it has authenticated successfully, how do i forward to the
success page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Zille.

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Don't use a form, just use Windows Authentication on the application/site.

You can't take a plain text password from a form, and "check" it against
Windows Authentication, AFAIK. This would be a *H*U*G*E* security hole.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Zille Hassan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All
>
> Newbie question here. i design form to take input from
> user(username,password). How do i autheticate if the user is Windows

Domain
> user and once it has authenticated successfully, how do i forward to the
> success page.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Zille.

Ken Schaefer

You could use ADSI to do it...

Cheers
Ken

"Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
: Don't use a form, just use Windows Authentication on the application/site.
:
: You can't take a plain text password from a form, and "check" it against
: Windows Authentication, AFAIK. This would be a *H*U*G*E* security hole.
:
: --
: Aaron Bertrand
: SQL Server MVP
: http://www.aspfaq.com/
:
:
:
:
: "Zille Hassan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Dear All
: >
: > Newbie question here. i design form to take input from
: > user(username,password). How do i autheticate if the user is Windows
: Domain
: > user and once it has authenticated successfully, how do i forward to the
: > success page.
: >
: > Any help would be appreciated.
: >
: > Regards
: >
: > Zille.
: >
: >
:
:

Zille Hassan

But how do i do it, i am really new to ASP. do i have to enable Windows
authentication from the IIS admin.

and how do i store the username and password taken from the user in session
variables

"Zille Hassan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All
>
> Newbie question here. i design form to take input from
> user(username,password). How do i autheticate if the user is Windows

Domain
> user and once it has authenticated successfully, how do i forward to the
> success page.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Zille.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

> and how do i store the username and password taken from the user in
session
> variables

I hope that even through ADSI this is impossible. A programmer should never
be able to have access to Windows passwords, for reasons that should be
obvious.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

Jeff Cochran

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:38:18 +0300, "Zille Hassan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>But how do i do it, i am really new to ASP. do i have to enable Windows
>authentication from the IIS admin.

Take a look at:

http://www.iisfaq.com/default.aspx?View=P78&P=145

>and how do i store the username and password taken from the user in session
>variables

Don't ever store the password in a session variable. You could set a
session variable for "Logged In" but with Windows authentication
there's no real reason to (at least that my feeble little mind can
come up with at the moment...). Windows knows whether you're logged
in or not.

Jeff