Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > deployment of asp.net application

deployment of asp.net application

Edward

hi, does anybody use tools other than vs.net to make installation media of
asp.net application?

thanks in advance.

Carlton858

> hi, does anybody use tools other than vs.net to make installation media of
> asp.net application?
>
> thanks in advance.

Inno Installer. It is an AWESOME piece of software and, of course, free.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Carlton

Edward Zhong

does Inno provide APIs like Register IIS directory and SQL server db
creation ?

Carlton858

> does Inno provide APIs like Register IIS directory and SQL server db
> creation ?

Not sure since I have not automated the creation of IIS virtual
directories and SQL Server DB creation through Inno. I seem to
remember that Inno will execute files for you since I have used Inno
to register DLL and OCX files for an ASP app. I primarily use Inno to
deploy the files and create the directory structure - my database
deployment is 99% automated and I still create IIS stuff by hand (it
is pretty easy).

However, VS.Net is not the only way to deploy a site. I have
automated the creation of my database objects through SQL scripts (SQL
server provides an option to script the database creation) with *.bat
files. As for creation of IIS virtual directories, I believe that
all you need to do there is write a VBScript file that does this. Is
this hard? I don't know since I have not done that yet, but I don't
think so because I know there are scripts on the Internet you can
steal. You just have to save somethings for the next project.

Carlton

Edward Zhong

Thanks , Carton.

I studied some starter kits of Asp.Net , all is with the postfix ".msi".

Maybe I should check some API of IIS creation .

If I find some solution, I will notify you.

Edward