Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ScriptTimeout Error

ScriptTimeout Error

Sam Kong

Hello!

I made an ASP page which converts big data from a CSV file to SQL Server.
It takes so long like an hour.
So in the page I wrote the following line.

Server.ScriptTimeout = 100000

But the pages gives an timeout error after about 40 minutes.

When I tested it with empty infinite loop, it went over 1 hour.

I can't find anything else that I can do about it at this point.

What can I do?

TIA.

Sam

Bob Barrows

Sam Kong wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I made an ASP page which converts big data from a CSV file to SQL
> Server. It takes so long like an hour.
> So in the page I wrote the following line.
>
> Server.ScriptTimeout = 100000
>
> But the pages gives an timeout error after about 40 minutes.
>
> When I tested it with empty infinite loop, it went over 1 hour.
>
> I can't find anything else that I can do about it at this point.
>
> What can I do?

Stop using ASP for this task. SQL Server has Data Transformation Services
which is designed for this sort of task. See www.sqldts.com for some
pointers. There is also a dts newsgroup: m.p.sqlserver.dts where you can
find some help. The beauty of DTS is that it can be scheduled to run
periodically.

HTH,
Bob Barrows

--