Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP SP2 WZC - Setting channel number

XP SP2 WZC - Setting channel number

=?Utf-8?B?ZGltYWtp?=

I am trying to use windows XP SP2 wireless configuration utility to setup an
ad hoc wireless network that would always work on a particular user defined
channel(channel 11 for example). To my surprise, however, there are no
settings related top this in XP SP2's Wireless Zero Config Utility. Maybe I
am overlooking something. Is there a way to actually do this using this
utility, and how do I go about doing this?

Thank you

Pavel A.

Channel setting for ad-hoc is a proprietary parameter of
wi-fi adapter driver.
Also, the Microsoft API has no notion of channel at all - only frequency.
This is why you could'nt find it.

--PA

"dimaki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to use windows XP SP2 wireless configuration utility to setup an
> ad hoc wireless network that would always work on a particular user defined
> channel(channel 11 for example). To my surprise, however, there are no
> settings related top this in XP SP2's Wireless Zero Config Utility. Maybe I
> am overlooking something. Is there a way to actually do this using this
> utility, and how do I go about doing this?
>
> Thank you

=?Utf-8?B?ZGltYWtp?=

Thank you for your response.

Is it possible to obtain the exact frequency range and from it determine the
channel number or does it simply tell you a general 2.4Ghz which only tells
you that it's an 802.11b connection?
I am a C++ developer, and I am interested in finding out how to obtain this
information programatically.

Regards,

Dmitry

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Channel setting for ad-hoc is a proprietary parameter of
> wi-fi adapter driver.
> Also, the Microsoft API has no notion of channel at all - only frequency.
> This is why you could'nt find it.
>
> --PA
>
> "dimaki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am trying to use windows XP SP2 wireless configuration utility to setup an
> > ad hoc wireless network that would always work on a particular user defined
> > channel(channel 11 for example). To my surprise, however, there are no
> > settings related top this in XP SP2's Wireless Zero Config Utility. Maybe I
> > am overlooking something. Is there a way to actually do this using this
> > utility, and how do I go about doing this?
> >
> > Thank you

Philip Doragh

On current versions of XP, it will only create Ad-Hoc networks using 802.11b
on channel 11. At this point 802.11 only supports Adhoc in 802.11b and WEP
is the only supported encryption scheme. For ease of use Microsoft
restricted creating just to the single channel. WZC will see and connect to
Ad-Hoc networks created by other devices on any of the 802.11 channels.

With Vista and the activities of the 802.11s (Mesh working group), Ad-Hoc
capabilities will be greatly expanded...

Diamontina Cocktail

"Philip Doragh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5Ejef.16739$q%(E-Mail Removed) m...
> On current versions of XP, it will only create Ad-Hoc networks using
> 802.11b on channel 11. At this point 802.11 only supports Adhoc in
> 802.11b and WEP is the only supported encryption scheme. For ease of use
> Microsoft restricted creating just to the single channel. WZC will see
> and connect to Ad-Hoc networks created by other devices on any of the
> 802.11 channels.
>
> With Vista and the activities of the 802.11s (Mesh working group), Ad-Hoc
> capabilities will be greatly expanded...

I always set the channel, ad-hoc, through the driver properties for the NIC.
I wasn't restricted to 11.