Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Windows 2003 Server / CDO Emails - ASP FAQ

Windows 2003 Server / CDO Emails - ASP FAQ

Rob Meade

Lo all

Ok, had problems sending emails for the first time on the new server setup
this evening, found the ASP FAQ article :

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

Which offered an answer to my problem - however - I then got another error -
ASP FAQ once again resolved this :

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2305

In this scenario changing the 2 to a 1 solved the problem and the email was
sent...

So, at the moment I am able to send emails using my own server - I then
wanted to check that the CDO way of sending emails was going to work on a
hosting companies server that I also use - I FTP'd the testemail.asp file
up - ran it - bingo - got an email - now I'm wondering WHY! I had left the
server ip as it was for my own network - I find it hard to believe that just
by pure luck their email server is using the same IP as mine, and as it was
a local IP (192.168 etc) - it wasn't going to resolve any other
way...so...do I actually need this :

cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"

Or can it be left out - or - did it get ignored because of the 2 being set
to a 1...

I have no idea what these values actually mean so any help would be
appreciated - my knowledge of all things SMTP is slim to none - and we just
waved goodbye to slim.... )

Thanks in advance for any help - oh and thanks for www.aspfaq.com for those
great articles... )

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it just
dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't get
sent to an SMTP server).

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

"Rob Meade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newssQub.5122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lo all
>
> Ok, had problems sending emails for the first time on the new server setup
> this evening, found the ASP FAQ article :
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
>
> Which offered an answer to my problem - however - I then got another

error -
> ASP FAQ once again resolved this :
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2305
>
> In this scenario changing the 2 to a 1 solved the problem and the email

was
> sent...
>
> So, at the moment I am able to send emails using my own server - I then
> wanted to check that the CDO way of sending emails was going to work on a
> hosting companies server that I also use - I FTP'd the testemail.asp file
> up - ran it - bingo - got an email - now I'm wondering WHY! I had left

the
> server ip as it was for my own network - I find it hard to believe that

just
> by pure luck their email server is using the same IP as mine, and as it

was
> a local IP (192.168 etc) - it wasn't going to resolve any other
> way...so...do I actually need this :
>
> cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"
>
> Or can it be left out - or - did it get ignored because of the 2 being set
> to a 1...
>
> I have no idea what these values actually mean so any help would be
> appreciated - my knowledge of all things SMTP is slim to none - and we

just
> waved goodbye to slim.... )
>
> Thanks in advance for any help - oh and thanks for www.aspfaq.com for

those
> great articles... )
>
> Regards
>
> Rob

Rob Meade

"Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

> One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it just
> dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't

get
> sent to an SMTP server).

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply and info.

Out of curiousity - I've always used CDONTS - just assumed that was the
right way to go etc - my application wont allow me to use this now on my
development box, but will on the live box (hosted elsewhere) - therefore
would it be prudent to change all of my code to use CDO instead of CDONTS?
Any issues with this - ie, will CDO *aways* work - or do I need to perhaps
keep the other version in there too and check somehow to determine which to
use?

Any info appreciated - sorry for the lateness of my reply...

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if you
are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
2000.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/

"Rob Meade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zuGvb.7706$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...
>
> > One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it

just
> > dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't

> get
> > sent to an SMTP server).

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Thanks for the reply and info.
>
> Out of curiousity - I've always used CDONTS - just assumed that was the
> right way to go etc - my application wont allow me to use this now on my
> development box, but will on the live box (hosted elsewhere) - therefore
> would it be prudent to change all of my code to use CDO instead of CDONTS?
> Any issues with this - ie, will CDO *aways* work - or do I need to perhaps
> keep the other version in there too and check somehow to determine which

> use?
>
> Any info appreciated - sorry for the lateness of my reply...
>
> Regards
>
> Rob

Rob Meade

"Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

> CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if

you
> are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
> 2000.

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've just had a quick look at the server variables and it doesn't appear
that there's a way to retrieve the OS etc being used...any idea how to
configure my small script to use CDONTS if its NT or CDO if its 2000
upwards?

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

http://www.aspfaq.com/2140

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/

"Rob Meade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5Kvb.7888$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...
>
> > CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if

> you
> > are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
> > 2000.

> Hi Aaron,
>
> Many thanks for your reply.
>
> I've just had a quick look at the server variables and it doesn't appear
> that there's a way to retrieve the OS etc being used...any idea how to
> configure my small script to use CDONTS if its NT or CDO if its 2000
> upwards?
>
> Regards
>
> Rob

Rob Meade