Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Reliability problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Reliability problem

 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
I have an ASP form which collects data into a MS Access database. This
is used to collect information from 120 of my students. Last year I
used a free host but this was utterly unreliable. This year I am using
a paid host. It's much more reliable but I'm still finding about 20%
of students do not get their data saved to the database at all.

What could I do to improve reliability ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Schupp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
Are the student's getting error messages?

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development
Integrity eLearning
www.ielearning.com


"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have an ASP form which collects data into a MS Access database. This
> is used to collect information from 120 of my students. Last year I
> used a free host but this was utterly unreliable. This year I am using
> a paid host. It's much more reliable but I'm still finding about 20%
> of students do not get their data saved to the database at all.
>
> What could I do to improve reliability ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
I'm not present when they submit data but none of them has reported a
problem. They seem to be oblivious to the failure to save their data.


"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Are the student's getting error messages?
>
> --
> Mark Schupp
> Head of Development
> Integrity eLearning
> www.ielearning.com
>
>
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have an ASP form which collects data into a MS Access database. This
> > is used to collect information from 120 of my students. Last year I
> > used a free host but this was utterly unreliable. This year I am using
> > a paid host. It's much more reliable but I'm still finding about 20%
> > of students do not get their data saved to the database at all.
> >
> > What could I do to improve reliability ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Schupp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
Do you have any error checking in your scripts?

You probably need to add error checking and an error log to see if you can
determine what is happening. Access is not the most robust database for web
applications but you should not be losing data without errors occurring.

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development
Integrity eLearning
www.ielearning.com


"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm not present when they submit data but none of them has reported a
> problem. They seem to be oblivious to the failure to save their data.
>
>
> "Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Are the student's getting error messages?
> >
> > --
> > Mark Schupp
> > Head of Development
> > Integrity eLearning
> > www.ielearning.com
> >
> >
> > "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I have an ASP form which collects data into a MS Access database. This
> > > is used to collect information from 120 of my students. Last year I
> > > used a free host but this was utterly unreliable. This year I am using
> > > a paid host. It's much more reliable but I'm still finding about 20%
> > > of students do not get their data saved to the database at all.
> > >
> > > What could I do to improve reliability ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
Thanks Mark. I haven't delved into error checking before. Know of any
good online guides or tutorials anyone ?



"Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ezZyzw#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Do you have any error checking in your scripts?
>
> You probably need to add error checking and an error log to see if you can
> determine what is happening. Access is not the most robust database for web
> applications but you should not be losing data without errors occurring.
>
> --
> Mark Schupp
> Head of Development
> Integrity eLearning
> www.ielearning.com
>
>
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm not present when they submit data but none of them has reported a
> > problem. They seem to be oblivious to the failure to save their data.
> >
> >
> > "Mark Schupp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Are the student's getting error messages?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark Schupp
> > > Head of Development
> > > Integrity eLearning
> > > www.ielearning.com
> > >
> > >
> > > "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > > I have an ASP form which collects data into a MS Access database. This
> > > > is used to collect information from 120 of my students. Last year I
> > > > used a free host but this was utterly unreliable. This year I am using
> > > > a paid host. It's much more reliable but I'm still finding about 20%
> > > > of students do not get their data saved to the database at all.
> > > >
> > > > What could I do to improve reliability ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reliability problem with Finance::QuoteHist::Yahoo Ted Perl Misc 13 07-18-2008 09:07 PM
Calculation of reliability metric gautamzone@gmail.com Cisco 0 01-24-2006 08:09 AM
Reliability of Provider Fred Atkinson Cisco 2 07-23-2005 03:58 AM
ATM vs Gigabit Ethernet for Reliability over a WAN Ned Hart Cisco 1 06-16-2004 04:07 PM
Reliability of Mozilla Backup Anxious Man Firefox 0 01-22-2004 09:01 AM



Advertisments