Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP thumbnail creator?

ASP thumbnail creator?

Simon Wigzell

I need a simple function to generate and save a thumbnail from a picture. It
would require :

Source Picture Fileame
Thumbnail Height and Width
Thumbnail Filename

There are many pay programs available but they do far more than I require
and I want the code to be built in to my code, not operate as a separate
program. Any ideas? The browser knows how to resize pictures easily enough,
and that is free! Is there no way to capture this with ASP? Thanks!

bart plessers

CxImage.dll
you can find it on
http://www.codeproject.com/asp/thumbtools2.asp

It is very usefull, and I am currently setting up a web photoalbum,
generating thumbs and lowres images 'on the fly' with it.
You can see it at
http://pvo.no-ip.org:4040/milan/foto...AlbumsList.asp

All the original pics are stored in folders.
These folders are indexed with THumbsPlus: thumbgeneration and added
information is stored in central dbase.

This dbase is providing information for my webpages.

However, when starting a 'slideshow', an 'low resolution' picture is
generated from the original one on the fly with image size 80% of screen
size.
This is done by use of CxImage

succes with it, and thanx to Philipos Sakellaropoulos' for sharing this tool
with us!

regards,
bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

"Simon Wigzell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I need a simple function to generate and save a thumbnail from a picture.

It
> would require :
>
> Source Picture Fileame
> Thumbnail Height and Width
> Thumbnail Filename
>
> There are many pay programs available but they do far more than I require
> and I want the code to be built in to my code, not operate as a separate
> program. Any ideas? The browser knows how to resize pictures easily

enough,
> and that is free! Is there no way to capture this with ASP? Thanks!

Randy Rahbar

> There are many pay programs available but they do far more than I require
> and I want the code to be built in to my code, not operate as a separate
> program. Any ideas? The browser knows how to resize pictures easily

enough,
> and that is free! Is there no way to capture this with ASP? Thanks!

Look into ASP.NET... it makes thumbnail generation easy.

Simon Wigzell

Thanks, that looks purrfect for my requirements, your site is very well made
too!

"bart plessers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CxImage.dll
> you can find it on
> http://www.codeproject.com/asp/thumbtools2.asp
>
> It is very usefull, and I am currently setting up a web photoalbum,
> generating thumbs and lowres images 'on the fly' with it.
> You can see it at
> http://pvo.no-ip.org:4040/milan/foto...AlbumsList.asp
>
> All the original pics are stored in folders.
> These folders are indexed with THumbsPlus: thumbgeneration and added
> information is stored in central dbase.
>
> This dbase is providing information for my webpages.
>
> However, when starting a 'slideshow', an 'low resolution' picture is
> generated from the original one on the fly with image size 80% of screen
> size.
> This is done by use of CxImage
>
> succes with it, and thanx to Philipos Sakellaropoulos' for sharing this

tool
> with us!
>
> regards,
> bartp

> Hyper A.R.T.
> bart plessers
> Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
> 3001 Heverlee
> BELGIUM
> tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
> fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06
>

> "Simon Wigzell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I need a simple function to generate and save a thumbnail from a

picture.
> It
> > would require :
> >
> > Source Picture Fileame
> > Thumbnail Height and Width
> > Thumbnail Filename
> >
> > There are many pay programs available but they do far more than I

require
> > and I want the code to be built in to my code, not operate as a separate
> > program. Any ideas? The browser knows how to resize pictures easily

> enough,
> > and that is free! Is there no way to capture this with ASP? Thanks!

Simon Wigzell

Perhaps - but considering that my whole site is .ASP on a linux server that
doesn't support ASP.NET, that isn't very helpfull!

"Randy Rahbar" <rvrahbarAThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There are many pay programs available but they do far more than I

require
> > and I want the code to be built in to my code, not operate as a separate
> > program. Any ideas? The browser knows how to resize pictures easily

> enough,
> > and that is free! Is there no way to capture this with ASP? Thanks!

> Look into ASP.NET... it makes thumbnail generation easy.

bart plessers

thanx for the compliment.
I am just developping a 'general' site:
-guestbook
-photoalbum
-daily log
-newsletter
-..

all fully customizable and with ASP and dbase.

It is just an experiment, but nice that you liked it.